thirty-nine ☆ the rosie side

DECEMBER
of twenty-nineteen

narrator's pov.

after being invited inside the monrae residence, the six teenagers took off their coats and headed up to rosaline's room. when zach opened the door, they were surprised to see rosaline sitting at her vanity and straightening her hair.

"hey, rosie," elena greeted, causing the blonde girl to jump, "how are you?"

"what are you guys doing here?" rosaline questioned, placing the straightener down.

"we came to talk," corbyn answered, "we heard the jonah side, and now it's time for the rosie side."

rosaline shrugged, "alright, whatever, let's talk."

"wait, why are you straightening your hair?" presley questioned.

"i was going to take pictures," rosaline answered, "you know, make the ex realize what he's missing."

"rose, you know it's okay to be sad, right?" zach mentioned.

"of course, zach, but i've spent all of yesterday crying my eyes out when i was home," rosaline pointed out, "i'm tired of crying."

"well, if you're ready to talk, we're ready to listen," zach remarked, "what happened between you and jonah?"

"i'm one-hundred percent sure that what jonah told you was sugarcoated. basically, we skipped the triple date to spend some time with each other. out of nowhere, we ended up on the brink of having sex. i had told jonah many times in the past that i didn't want to do it, but i knew he did. when he was about to take it further, i stopped him. i explained again that i don't want to, and then he got all mad about it. i don't get why jonah can't understand that i didn't want to do it, and plus, it's my body," rosaline started, her voice getting louder and expressing more anger, "then, he randomly blurted out to me that he fucked another girl. to make it even worse, it was audrey scott. god, i hate that bitch. he knows that audrey and i have been enemies since she started the rumor in sophomore year that i lost my virginity to the chemistry teacher, mr. hansen. i was so hurt and shocked when he told me. i really thought that jonah loved me, but i guess not. i broke up with him on the spot."

"whoa, that is so much more different than what jonah told us," presley gasped, "rosie, i'm so sorry. nobody deserves getting cheated on."

"eh, i'm over it," rosaline replied, shrugging her shoulders, "jonah is a piece of shit for doing that."

"why wouldn't jonah tell us the truth?" daniel asked.

"maybe because he doesn't want to look like he's in the wrong, which he totally is," zach answered, "rose, i'm really sorry. jonah shouldn't have treated you like that."

meanwhile, back at jonah's house, jack and june were lounging against the sofa. the two were always comfortable with each other since they were friends for so long, but all of a sudden they felt awkward to be with each other.

"so, um, how are you and presley?" june asked, trying to start a conversation.

"pretty good," jack answered, "what about you and corbyn?"

"good... everything's good," june replied.

jack awkwardly smiled, and played with his rings as he stared at the plain wall in front of them. out of nowhere, june had a random spark of motivation.

come on, june, just tell him you like him, she thought, what's the worst that could happen?

the brunette let out a deep breath, and quickly turned jack's face to kiss him. their lips met for less than a second, until jack pulled away.

"what the fuck?" jack asked, his eyes widening, "why did you just do that?"

"i-i'm sorry," june apologized.

"what in the world possessed you to kiss me?" jack questioned, tilting his head, "you have a boyfriend, and i have a girlfriend."

shit, i forgot about that, june thought.

"i'm sorry," she whispered, face-palming herself.

"just tell me, junie," jack pleaded.

after jack had referred to june as her nickname, she realized she couldn't keep such a big secret from one of her closest friends.

"corbyn and i don't like each other. we are just dating to make, um, presley jealous," she admitted, immediately feeling guilty for not telling jack the full truth.

"huh?" jack asked.

"it's a complicated story," june sighed, "corbyn and presley aren't exactly friends right now. i don't know... something about homecoming? corbyn just wants to have his best friend again."

"oh, so corbyn doesn't have feelings presley?" jack inquired, earning a head shake from june, "okay, good. i thought you meant it as in corbyn likes presley. wait, i still don't get why you kissed me."

"uh, i-i don't even know either," june lied, "it was kind of an in the moment thing, you know?"

"yeah, d-definitely," jack replied, "let's just not tell presley and corbyn. if it didn't mean anything to us, it shouldn't mean anything to them."

"yup, it means nothing at all," june declared.

however, deep inside their hearts, the two both knew the kiss meant something.

...