thirty-seven ☆ why would rosie throw that out?

DECEMBER
of twenty-nineteen

narrator's pov.

"i still cannot believe you blew us off," presley groaned, leaning against the locker next to rosaline's, "not going to lie, it was kind of awkward. june and corbyn were, um, weird."

rosaline sighed, "yeah, uh, i'm sorry i couldn't go."

she shut her locker, and headed to her third period class. elena caught up with presley in the hallway.

"did you see that?" presley asked.

"see what?" elena questioned.

"rosie is going to class before the bell rang. she never leaves before the bell rings," presley explained, "plus, she didn't show up to our triple date the other day."

"yeah, something is definitely wrong," elena agreed, "she would never miss and opportunity to eat honey walnut shrimp."

"what are we talking about?" daniel inquired, joining the conversation with corbyn by his side.

"rose went to class before the bell rang," presley answered.

"and that's important because...?" corbyn questioned, tilting his head.

presley rolled her eyes, "if anything, rose is always late to class since she talks to us in between every class period. something's wrong."

"or... maybe she just decided to go to class early for once?" daniel suggested.

"yeah, i second with what daniel said," corbyn remarked, "i think you guys are looking too far into it."

"ugh, boys, am i right?" presley whispered to elena.

elena snickered, and daniel said, "hey, what did presley just say about us?"

the bell rang, and elena answered, "nothing you need to know about."

"oh my gosh, you guys are so annoying," daniel whined, heading to class.

-

the final bell of the day rang, and rosaline immediately headed to her locker. however, she didn't talk to anybody near her. elena, presley, daniel, and corbyn stared at her from daniel's locker since they both had lockers fairly close to each other in the senior hallway.

"did you see that?" presley whispered, pointing at the blonde girl walking away from her locker.

"rose walking out of the school? wow, that's literally mind-blowing. who would've thought someone would go home after finishing up at their locker?" daniel mocked, earning himself a smack on the shoulder from presley, "hey! since when did you get all feisty?"

"shush, look at what she's doing," presley added.

rosaline was throwing a flimsy piece of paper into the garbage, and headed out the doors of oakland high school.

"oh my gosh, she threw out a piece of paper! i'm genuinely freaking out right now," corbyn taunted, getting hit on the elbow by elena, "ow!"

once majority of the students in the hallway were gone, the four quietly walked over to rosaline's locker. presley began to unlock her locker.

they analyzed what was inside, and corbyn groaned, "i don't know why we're putting so much effort into this. she's probably just on her period."

"oh my gosh," elena whispered, "presley, she took it down."

"took what down?" daniel questioned.

presley pointed at the empty spot on the inside of rosaline's locker, "there used to be a picture of her and jonah at the utah state fair taped on this certain spot. it's gone now."

a lightbulb hit corbyn, "maybe that was what she threw out in the trash?"

elena and presley's eyes widened, and they immediately sprinted to the trash can.

"thanks for helping, corbyn," corbyn shouted, acknowledging himself, "oh, you're welcome, corbyn!"

"who's going to look for it?" elena asked, "i don't want to."

"daniel or corbyn," presley declared, "have a rock, paper, scissors game to figure it out."

daniel rolled his eyes, and played the hand game with corbyn. unfortunately, he lost, resulting in him having to dig through the garbage.

"this is the most icky thing i've ever done," daniel gagged, "and i've used the bathroom after corbyn when it was sushi monday in the cafeteria last year. trust me, it wasn't pretty."

"we did not need to know that," presley grumbled, shivering from disgust, "did you find anything yet?"

"the only thing i've found so far are a bunch of soda cans, notebook paper, and what i think is señorita diaz's leftover chili from three weeks ago," daniel answered, practically on the brink of vomiting, "oh, and this picture."

presley carefully picked up the glossy paper, and turned it over to reveal what the image was.

it was the picture of rosaline and jonah from the utah state fair.

"why would rosie throw that out?" corbyn inquired, tilting his head.

"there's two logical reasons why," presley answered, "either she's just replacing the picture, or..."

"her and jonah broke up," elena mumbled, finishing presley's sentence.

"psssh, there's no way they broke up," corbyn scoffed, "they've been together for over a year now."

"whether or not they broke up, rosie is still acting super weird," presley declared, heading toward the doors of oakland high, "we need to figure out why."

"why do all girls think they're the fbi?" daniel groaned, following elena and presley outside of the school.

-

"where do you think she went?" elena asked.

"i don't know, maybe her house," daniel mocked, earning a laugh and high-five from corbyn.

"can you guys stop with your sarcasm?" presley requested, earning herself an eye roll from the two blond boys.

they headed toward the parking lot, and noticed that rosaline's car was still there.

"hey, she's still here," elena remarked, walking over to her car.

however, when the four looked through the window, they saw rosaline crying. startled from daniel knocking on the glass, rosaline quickly wiped her tears and rolled down the window, "wh-what are you guys doing here?"

"the real question is what are you doing here?" corbyn questioned, tilting his head.

"i asked you guys first," rosaline declared.

"we were trying to figure out why you were upset," elena answered, "uh, we kind of, sort of, searched through your locker."

"you searched through my locker?" rosaline scoffed, "guys, there's nothing wrong."

"really?" presley asked, pulling something out of her pocket, "then why did we find this picture of you and jonah in the garbage?"

rosaline sighed, "fine, you caught me."

"rosie, tell us what's going on," elena suggested.

"the reason why jonah and i didn't show up to the triple date and why i've been acting so weird is because..." rosaline started, beginning to feel her chest get heavy, "we broke up."

...

a / n :

i don't know about you guys, but as i was writing this, i could vividly picture the entire chapter. i'm trying to start writing longer chapters too (: