Chapter 68

"Sophie, please say something," Fitz pleaded, rising from the sitting room couch and stopping her from pacing.

    The news had caused a full fledged panic attack, in which Fitz had immediately leaped her home, sparing her from any other terrifying Mr. Forkle news. Now, with Addy and Dean safely tucked away in bed, it had hit hard. 

"I can't." Sophie managed to get out. "I can't keep doing this. Jumping into something without taking in the consequences, finally feeling happy about making the 'right decision' and then something terrible and devastating happens." 

Fitz reached up to wipe the tears from her cheek. He didn't say a word, but led her up the big stairs into a room she didn't know existed. Inside sat a couch, directed towards something that looked like a giant human T.V. 

She sniffled. "Fitz, what is this?" She asked, as he left her side to turn the device on. 

He smiled. "I knew this day would come." He said, smiling sadly. "I knew as soon as I saw those adorable smiling faces the day Addy and Dean came to us." Sophie just sat and listened. "And I'm okay with it. Living a normal life. No more almost dying." 

As much as his words hurt her heart, they were true.  And she agreed. Then a terrible wave of emotion hit her. "But Fitz, we swore an oath to the Black swan and you're an Emissary and what will our friends think?" She asked, wanting to live in the perfect world Fitz described but knowing it would be impossible. 

"I promise, we'll find a way. But ... I want to show you this first. A little help from Dex. The great thing is, we'll always be part of the team" He explained. When he noticed Sophie's confusion, he gave up trying to explain and double tapped the middle of the screen. It instantly came to life, and Sophie's heart shattered into a million tiny pieces when she saw the images - probably projected by Fitz - come alive. 

The screen showed something like a slideshow of Fitz's memory projections. 

Sophie fading away after the kidnapping

Sandor falling off the cliff at Everest

Biana tackling Lady Vespera at Nightfall

Keefe running into the flame to rescue her parents

Linh sending a tidal wave through the ogre city

Tam shadowing their group to keep them undetected

Mr. Forkle-as-Sir Astin defending Sophie when the circlet had caused her pain

Calla singing to the plague infected trees

Alden hugging Sophie telling her 'there's no reason to worry'

Marella sparking flames as Fintan threatens their group

Maruca sheilding them with a force field during a dwarvern attack

Wylie throwing red and yellow flashes of light at Gethen. 

Silveny whinnying as Sophie walked into the pasture

Amy - Sophie's sister - coming out of the closet at Sophie's old home

And somehow, he had gotten an image of himself in there, fighting with everything he had.

Sophie smiled, even though tears were spilling down her cheeks. And she sat there, for who knows how long, watching the images replay. And replay again. Eventually, she kissed Fitz on the cheek, and watched the images fade in and out of eachother until she silently, noiselessly, drifted off into a peaceful sleep.