Chapter 43

Fitz spoke into his walkie-talkie. "I need gnomes 1-200 on deck!" Fitz said, once Sophie and Fitz had leaped home from Elwin's office. Almost at once, there were 200 gnomes in front of them, and Fitz explained the whole situation. He was scrambling to get all this done, because Sophie could have her baby any day in this week. Once the gnomes had rushed away to split the kids room into two, Fitz faced her. He looked like he was going to faint. But instead, he talked into his little walkie-talkie again. "I need gnomes 200-220 to come up to my location" He said, and led Sophie inside. She had a hard time stepping up on the front steps. Fitz looked green now. "I'm fine, Fitz. At least now we have a reason why I was so much bigger in the first place." He nodded and then suddenly there were 20 gnomes in front of them. He gave them instructions. "I need you all to escort Sophie to her room." He said, and Sophie sighed. "Fitz, I'm fine." He shook his head really fast. "No! Sophie! You're not fine! Go sleep!" Sophie sighed again. "All I have been doing lately is sleeping." He waved his hand in the air like Keefe did when he was fanning Sophie's crazy emotions away. "Oh, please. I've looked into this in the book." He ordered one of the 20 gnomes to grab his book. Sophie rolled her eyes. "It says here that pregnant women often are very tired, and if they don't sleep than they get..." He trailed off, and he very smartly didn't say the rest. Sophie put one hand on her hip, and tried to capture Keefe's confidence as she said, "I told you. All I have done is sleep lately! I'm not even tired!" She said, sounding like her human sister, when her parents told her to go to bed on a late night. Fitz eyed her suspiciously, and Sophie straightened to her full height. Fitz looked down on the book, then back up at her. He sighed. "Fine, but at least eat something healthy while you're at it" Sophie smiled and shoved her way out of the circle of gnomes. She wanted to jump in joy, but she knew she couldn't. She hurried over to the cabinet and tried to find some leftover mallowmelt. Nothing. She heard Fitz's footsteps behind her. "Hey Fitz, can I have some Mallowmelt?" She asked, and she heard Fitz's gasp. She grinned. She was going to get some from him. "Absolutely not, Sophie!" He said, then Sophie looked at him. She tried to do the tired and sad look on Fitz and it totally worked. Again. "Fine, I will ask Della to make some." Sophie kept looking the way she did. "And some custard bursts?" Fitz tried to resist but he couldn't. "Alright, I will stop at Edaline as well." then he rushed out of there before she  could ask for anything more.