Chapter 42

"Hey, Sophie!" Elwin called, and Sophie squirmed in her chair. She really didn't want to do this. Fitz sat right beside her on the chair, and he held her hand. Fitz looked up at Elwin, with some sort of: I dare you to hurt Sophie look. Sophie sighed. "So... why are we here again?" Sophie asked, and it was Fitz's turn to sigh. "I've already told you 4 times, Sophie." he said. Sophie looked at her feet. "Sorry, you don't have to tell me." Fitz leaned in closer. "That's not what I'm saying. But ... I get it." Sophie whipped around to face him. "Excuse me? You get it??" Fitz shook his head immediately. "No, it's just the book says ..." He called one of the 30 gnomes along the edge of the room over to bring the giant book that Sophie found when she was 5 months pregnant. "Well.. it says..." He murmured again, as he flipped through pages. Sophie sighed super-dramatically. Then she looked at Elwin, and he was making the koo-koo sign at Fitz. Sophie wholeheartedly nodded in agreement. Fitz shifted in his chair. "I found it! Here.." He pointed to a paragraph written in really small text. "It  says here that in the third Trimester, the mother starts to forget what happened and change emotions very quickly." He eyed Sophie mysteriously. Sophie rolled her eyes. "Okay!" Elwin said, clapping his hands so Sophie turned his attention to him. "Sophie, you're just here for a simple check-up. Making sure the baby is growing properly... and so on." He hesitated a second before hauling himself up, off of the chair, and crossing the room. He came back with a giant camera-looking gadget. He smiled at Sophie. "This is the gadget that you asked Dex to make." He explained calmly, when Sophie started shaking. "Something about.... human offrasound?" Sophie smiled. "Ultrasound." She corrected, and then spoke again before Fitz got mad. "It's just a thing that humans do t--" She got cut off by Fitz shaking his head. "I know what an Ultrasound is, Sophie. But the council forbid them years ago because we thought it was wrong to judge your baby before it was even born." He gave her a dirty look. Elwin cut in right at that moment, and saved her. "But.." He added, before Fitz made the gnomes retrain her or something stupid like that. "I think it is a very clever way to see how the baby is doing, and since you are the moonlark, I want to be extra careful." He gave her a knowing look. Sophie shifted in her chair again. "Well!" He said, snapping Sophie out of her worried daze. "Lets... try this!" He held up the machine to her still shirt-covered bulged out stomach, but she didn't bother asking Elwin if she should raise her shirt. She just sat there until the machine made a beeping noise. Sounded like an alarm ..... "Is everything okay?" Sophie asked, when Elwin turned green. She assumed that was a bad sign. Elwin nodded, and when Fitz called over ten gnomes, to 'protect' Sophie, Elwin got even greener. He took two deep breaths before facing Fitz and Sophie. "It will all be fine. You're not due for at least another week. You will have time to prepare." Elwin said, slowly but firmly. "Prepare for what?" Fitz asked, but Sophie already knew. Even before Elwin said, "Sophie is having twins."