Chapter 3

The three of them landed on the path to Havenfield, and Edaline sprinted down the path. She waited at the door, and yelled, "SOPHIE!!" Grady looked at Sophie, then back at Edaline. "I have to warn you," he said. "She is going to go crazy." Sophie nodded, letting Grady go try to feed Verdi again, and then she heard another call from Edaline. "SOPHIE!!!" She yelled again, still from the door, and this time Sophie responded. "Yes, Mom?" Edaline smiled. "Your Winnowing Gala is in three days, right?" Sophie nodded again. "So we need to get planning!!" She hollered. "I'll give you a minute to change from your town clothes, then meet me in my office!!" Sophie sighed. Grady was right. Sophie changed into a plain white tunic, her favorite one. She only wore this one at home, since Edaline said it wasn't suitable for the world to see. Sophie took the slow way to Edaline's office, pausing to look at every picture in the hallway. She had taken all the detours she could, now she had to go for it. She knocked slowly on the door and waited for Edaline's soft voice to answer. "Come in, come in." She said. Sophie pushed open the door, walking and sitting down in the chair right across from Edaline's. "So..." She started. "Where, is the first thing we need to figure out." Sophie nervously looked up at Edaline. "I hope this is okay, but.... can we do it at Calla's Panakes tree? I want to be with her if I'm going to do this." Sophie's voice quavered. Edaline nodded. "Of course." She smiled. Sophie smiled back. "Okay," Edaline said. She looked at the papers scattered all over her desk and held up two. "White tents with purple flowers, or white tents with red flowers?" She asked. Sophie looked at the two pictures for a moment, and then remembered that Della had once said she had looked very good in red. "Let's go red." Sophie decided. Edaline nodded quicker than she probably should've. "What drinks do you want?" Edaline asked, and almost instantly Sophie's mind went to Human alcohol, and that's probably what any human would pick if they had been asked the question. "We can have fruit punch," Sophie suggested, and Edaline nodded quickly again. "Okay, last question...." Edaline finally for real looked up at Sophie. "What dress?" She asked and Sophie's brain turned to panic mode. "Do I have to wear a dress? Maybe I should just wear pants and...." Sophie looked at Edaline who was glaring at her. Sophie tried something else. "Okay, maybe a skirt..." "No Sophie, you are going to wear a dress," Edaline confirmed. Sophie opened her mouth to argue, but she heard another voice at the door. "I think you should." The voice said. Sophie whipped around, afraid to find Keefe standing there and ready for the most embarrassing talk EVER, but instead, she found something even worse. Taken to join the Neverseen and the person who Linh had been worrying about for months. Tam.

Sophitz kotlcOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara