Chapter 63

This chapter is dedicated to @iamjoeandiamnimber2 for being my first supporter. 

Elwin hurried around the corner, waving the book in the air. "I found it, I found it! I swear, I have been looking for this thing for forever! When I first saw the patterns in your cells, I had lost the book the week before." He explained, and then he seemed to realize that his hand were still in the air, along with the book. He brought his arms down. 

"So, is there like a code breaker in there, or something?" Fitz asked, clearly lost in the conversation, but obviously concerned. 

Elwin nodded "In the back of it. It shows you which code is which ability!" He said, but didn't bother turning the pages.

"Well?" Sophie asked, and Elwin jumped. "Right, sorry." Elwin apologized and started flipping to the back of the book. 

"Here!" He pointed to something on the page. "Let me see!" Sophie said, and he sat down beside her. "Look." He pointed to the page and boy, that was not what Sophie had expected. 

It was like the human language for blind and visually impaired people. She suddenly wondered if there were any elves like that ... She couldn't think about that now!

Elwin pointed to a very complicated one. It looked like a 5 rolled on a dice but cloned and the clone was flipped sideways. "That is the code I saw in your cells." Elwin explained. "It means that you are able to teleport." 

He pointed to a bunch of different ones, explaining the abilities Sophie had already discovered. "So what are my two other ones? And what are Dean and Addy's?" She asked, trying to get through the long painful explaining part as soon as possible. 

"Let me see ..." He adjusted his glasses, and flashed a bunch more yellow light. He squinted in the glasses, and flashed a few more colours and shades. Oh, how Sophie was shaking with fear and excitement. What if she got something bad? Forbidden? She squeezed her eyes shut and planned for the worst to come. 

Once Elwin was done flashing all the light, he wrote the two patterns down on a piece of paper. Then he did the same to Addy and Dean. 

"There you go, I'll let you do the res-" He got interrupted by his Imparter ringing. "Oh, sorry gotta go. Be right back!" 

And in that moment, Sophie felt like she was in a movie. Everything set up for disaster. Physician gone, and all alone in an empty room. She took a deep breath. "Let's do Addy and Dean first." She suggested, praying that Fitz would agree. He nodded. "Okay, let's do it."

Sophie took Addy's paper, and looked over the first code. She flipped through the back of the book and found it. 

Hydrokinetic.

Sophie had guessed that one. She studied the next code

Telepath.

Not a surprise, Sophie and Fitz both had the ability. But to confirm that Addy and Dean had it ... It felt overwhelming but at the same time, relieving. She looked at the last code for Addy. Should've guessed her kids would have multiple abilities. 

Empath

Sophie blinked several times, her brain consuming the new information. Her brain was also happily creating horrible images of the Neverseen capturing her children. Now, it was Dean's turn. Fitz was following along, gasping at when Sophie pointed to Empath. Sophie then took Dean's sheet.

Pyrokinetic

Wow, so far her twin children both had exact opposite abilities. This was going to be just great. 

Telepath

She had guessed that one. The crossed her fingers before she read the next ability, entwining her fingers tighter, turning them purple.

Psionipath.

Sophie sighed, releasing all the stress or at least some of it. Her son still had a forbidden ability. She then realized she still had to discover her other two abilities. She snatched the paper, her hands shaking in the process.

She had to do this. She could do this. She had her whole family beside her. All the people she loved, safe. This wouldn't change anything, would it?

She found herself holding the paper in mid-air, shaking still. Fitz squeezed her shoulder, in reassurance. She could do this. One secret at a time. It was finally the day, she was going to discover whatever the Black Swan had been hiding from her. So she held up the paper, and began to tackle this problem along with all the people she loved, for the greater good.

Or at least ... She hoped.