Chapter 40

"Contol?" Sophie almost fainted. "Control your pregnant wife?" Sophie looked at Iggy on the windowsill in his cage. "Can you believe this??!" She stood, staring at the book until she heard footsteps climbing up the stairs. Fitz. She didn't even bother hiding it. This had to be settled. Fitz was at the door now, and he smiled when he saw her. When he spotted the book, he didn't even flinch. "Control?" She asked him, and Sophie saw Fitz's eyes blaze with confidence. He didn't even look sorry. "This baby needs the proper care. End of discussion." Sophie thought Fitz had been replaced. "This isn't like you." She said, trying the 'sad and tired' look again. That seemed to do the trick. "Listen, Sophie. I'm really sorry, but I can't let anything happen to this baby. This is big-- something real for me, and it means a lot. I know it may not seem like me, but it is." He took her hands, and Sophie looked into his eyes. All the saw in his teal eyes was pride. All other emotions were long from gone, and he didn't so much as wince when Sophie picked up the book again. She held his gaze firmly. "But... isn't this" she gestured to the book, and only held it by two fingers like it was a worm she didn't want to touch. "Isn't this just a little too far, maybe?" She paused to look at her feet, and then back up again. Fitz's eyes hadn't changed. All she saw was pride. She wondered if this was how he was going to be for the rest of her pregnancy. Suddenly Sophie was reminded of how far she already was through her pregnancy. Five months. Five months pregnant and she hadn't even started eating healthy. She had a bad feeling Fitz would make sure she did. "Isn't this too far" She repeated, when Fitz didn't answer. He looked around, obviously trying to avoid the subject. "I'm not letting this go, Fitz." She said, and Fitz sighed. He thought for a moment more, before choosing his words carefully. "Like I said before, this is really important." He paused again. "Too important. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to let this go." He stood there, for what seemed like years but was probably only a few seconds, then he picked up her tray of food and handed it to her. He also snatched the book out of her hands, before quietly turning, and walking down the stairs.