Chapter 6

Sophie froze. It was a long kiss, and Fitz was fully leaned in, arms around her now. Sophie returned the hug, and Fitz's lips were still pressed against hers. She didn't want to let go when he pulled away, she was so ... wait. What was she thinking? Was she going insane? It felt so ... weird. She had never imagined it like this. Once he did pull away, she was sure her face was as red as the sparkly red dragon of Fitz's, that Elwin had named Mr. Snuggles. Fitz was blushing bright red too because then he looked at Sophie. "I am still in love with you too, Sophie. I just don't want you to forget that by having that big Winnowing Gala." He said. Sophie nodded. "It's not even big" Sophie laughed, and told Fitz about her list. "It only had eight people on it, and you were first." He grinned. His face gave away that he was deciding if he should kiss her again. Thankfully, he didn't. Sophie wasn't sure if her cheeks could get any redder. He settled for an awkward pat on the shoulder. Sophie smiled. She wasn't the only one who didn't know how this went. Well, she was only 19. Or ... that's what she thought. Maybe she was 20? She had promised herself she would keep track of her birthday like humans did. It was a lot easier when you had a party to look forward to. Fitz's hands left her shoulder, yanking her out of her thoughts. She broke the silence, by grabbing the invitations from her bed. "Well, I have to hand these out now. Talk later?" She asked, and Fitz agreed and said his goodbyes. Before he pulled out his crystal, Sophie jumped and grabbed his arm. "Oh! Here." She said, handing him one of the envelopes. He smiled and stepped into the light. Sophie had to leave next, but she took a quick shower first. She let the water wash any worries she had about how Keefe would react to her having a Winnowing Gala. But she got dressed in perfection for the town and went on her way. She arrived at Candleshade, only to find exactly what she had expected. Keefe's Father. "Fancy meeting you here, Miss Foster, what brings you to my son's house this time?" He asked, striking that evil grin he had mastered. She had suspected Lord Cassius had been up to something the day she met him, although she didn't expect him to want to be part of the Black Swan. Sophie remembered he had volunteered in the middle of a crisis about Silveny and her foals. Then Sophie started wondering how Silveny and Greyfell were doing. Lord Cassius interrupted her thoughts. "I hope there is a reason for you being here Miss Foster." He said, looking at her like he had asked a question, and was expecting an answer. "Oh.." She fumbled. "Right." She pulled out an invitation. "For Keefe. My Winnowing Gala is tomorrow... Oh! sorry for the short notice." She added when he glared at her. "I'll be sure to give it to Keefe, then." Sophie smiled. "Thank you." He shoved his face with a forced smile. "Bye now!" He said, in an incredibly believable tone, considering he was Lord Cassius. Sophie stole one last look at him before she stepped into the light.