Parties and Good Feelings

A feeling, woohoo, that tonight's gonna be a good night
That tonight's gonna be a good night
That tonight's gonna be a good, good night
    ~Black Eyed Peas, I gotta feeling.

***

Maya's POV

I finally shut my book, letting my frustrations get the best of me.

What was I thinking trying to study now? Everyone is so excited, there's so much noise.

The dorm is bustling with people. Some are preparing to go home and the others for different parties.

Just then, my door swings open and my roommate appears. She gives me a wide grin which immediately disappears when she notices that I'm sitting at my study desk.

"Maya, no." She groans, closing the door behind her. "Get up."

I roll my eyes and push back my chair before standing up. I walk the short distance to my bed and throw myself on it.

"I meant get up and let's get ready." She chuckles.

"Ready for what?" I lift my head to look at her.

"The party."

"Zoe..." I groan and throw my head back on my pillow.

"Maya," she stands next to the bed and puts her hands on her hips, "it's the end of the semester. C'mon, let's go celebrate."

I sit up on the bed. "I actually have a celebration planned with Bianca, she's coming over and we're going to binge watch romantic movies."

"You two are killing me." She looks up. "You haven't gone out in ages. I'm not even talking about a party, just going out for lunch or dinner."

"I've been busy." I shrug my shoulders. She sits down on the bed.

"Yes but we're all done now. Please, please come to this party." She clasps her hands together and pouts, batting her eyelashes.

I throw my head back and laugh. "I really don't want to go. Besides, I don't have anything to wear."

"Yes you do and I can lend you some clothes."

"I haven't...uh...I need to water my plants." I give her a sheepish smile.

"Maya, don't try me with your lame excuses. I want to spend time with my friend before her parents summon her home."

My parents have not allowed me to spend any school holidays away from home. Ever since, what happened the last time I did, they've been completely averse to the idea. They became so overprotective, sometimes it feels like I'm some sort of a prisoner.

This time around, I was able to convince them otherwise.

"Actually, my plan worked." I state with a grin and she arches a brow.

"Really?" I nod. "Well that's good to know, you spent two days typing that thing."

We both laugh and she stands up. Her phone beeps and she takes it out of the pocket of her dress. She unlocks it and stares at if for a few seconds.

"The party will be fun, it's at one of Max's friends. I'll be back in about half an hour." She grabs the jacket she left on her bed earlier and makes her way out.

"Where are you going?" I ask but she's already out the door.

This is my first year in college and my first semester ends today.

The past year has been very tough for me. I've spent most of my time studying and being involved in as many extracurricular activities as I can manage. I graduated as valedictorian and my friends and I all applied to the same colleges. Unfortunately, only Bianca, Max and I got into the same one.