Chapter 42

Skye

As soon as my teeth penetrate Hunter's skin, something in him shifts. His hold on me tightens even more as he sinks his teeth into my neck, growling ferociously.

"Mine!" He pulls away from my neck after a while, licking his lips slowly.

"Yours, my love." I give him a peck, delighted beyond belief when I see his eyes clear slightly.

He tilts his head, seemingly confused, then pulls me in a deep kiss, not even minding his parents and my dad watching us. He uses one of his arms to keep me pressed against his chest and the other to cup my head as he devours me hungrily. I don't mind his roughness, the happiness that surges through me right now over trumps any apprehension I felt before.

"Mine. Only mine." I pant heavily after we finally pull away, gazing into my mate's clear red eyes.

Red eyes?

"Red?"

"Yes, my love?" I lunge at him in pure euphoria, pressing kisses all over his face.

"You're back! You're back! I love you! I love you! I love you!" I scream between the kisses, grasping his head in my hands.

"Someone's happy to see me." He grins at me before looking over my shoulder. "Mother." He bows slightly with me still in his arms.

I hear Luna's heavy sigh of relief. "Red! Oh goddess..." She breathes out, then I hear some thudding sound. I turn slightly in Red's embrace, surprised to see Luna sitting on the ground, leaning against a tree, breathing heavily.

"Mom, what happened to you?" I whip my head to Red so fast I get dizzy, shocked. "Did... Did I do this?" He worriedly asks me, his whole face marred with pure despair.

"Um..." I trail off, not knowing what to say.

"It's not the time to talk about this. You need to get cleaned up and then rest." Luna sternly says as Leo sits beside her, pulling her into his arms.

"Mom, I'm so sorry." He whimpers in agony, putting me gently on the ground then making his way to his parents. He kneels in front of them, baring his neck in submission, surprising both me and dad. He once told me that an alpha bows to no one.

"Hunter, get up. It's okay." Leo softly orders, stroking his mate's head. I almost laugh when I see Luna's tired state as she snuggles into Leo's chest. She must be exhausted. Hunter really did a number on her during the fight.

"I'm so sorry, dad. I never meant for... this... to happen." I recognize Hunter's voice, meaning Red has already given him control. He sounds so broken as he addresses his father. "I am so ashamed of becoming... that." He whimpers, sniffing quietly. Oh Hunter...

I slowly walk up to my mate, wrapping my bloodied arms around him as I kneel next to him. "Let's go home, my love. You need to rest. The babies missed you too." I see I finally reached him when he raises his head to look at me. He gives me a sad smile then pulls me into his arms, not minding the blood that's covering his whole body or the wounds he's sustained during the fight with his mother.

"Are they okay?" He quietly asks, his voice breaking.

"They're fine. But they missed you greatly. And so did I." I squeeze him tighter in my arms, enveloping him in a loving hug. I cry softly into the crook of his neck as we kneel in front of his parents, letting go of all the pain I felt while he was gone.

"I'm so sorry, baby. I'm so fucking sorry!" He cries too, picking me up swiftly and carrying me to the house, completely ignoring my dad on the way.

"Alpha!" I catch Ruby's and Adam's shocked gasps as my mate walks through the house, no doubt heading towards our bedroom.