Chapter 21

Skye

The journey to my dad's pack is a long one. At first I couldn't get used to the vibration of the car, slightly panicking whenever we met a bump on the road. I've never been in a car, so everything felt weird to me.

It took a few days for dad's beta to arrange a vehicle for us, and thankfully there's a road leading to the pack, so he could come right to Alpha's house. Luna explained to me that during the last 20 years or so, the pack took care of the infrastructure of the pack land, making sure to have good connection with the town outside the woods. Since they're not cursed anymore and don't have to stay as wolves for most of the time, they can take care of the pack's needs without another alpha's assistance. Apparently, a neighboring alpha, Alpha Leo's friend, was helping with the necessities, even lending few of his female wolves to help cleaning the pack's houses. I was surprised when I heard this, but I figured that during the hundred years they were cursed, they had to manage somehow.

"Are you feeling well, my love?" Hunter's voice pulls me out of my thoughts.

"Yeah, why?" I frown in confusion at him.

"I tried to get your attention for a while, but you didn't respond. What are you thinking about?" He quietly asks, rubbing my back soothingly. Due to my irrational panic attacks during the drive, Hunter pulled me into his lap to keep me calm.

"I was just... thinking. About nothing." I shrug, leaning my head against his shoulder, staring out the window absentmindedly.

"Adorable." I hear him mumble as he presses a kiss to my hair.

"You okay, baby?" Dad questions from the front seat, looking at me worriedly through the rear view mirror.

"I'm fine."

"Should we take a break? We've been driving for a while." He frowns worriedly.

"I think it's a good idea. Skye's been curled up for hours, she should get some rest." I give Hunter the stink-eye. He's worrying too much.

"Agreed." Dad nods then tells his beta to find some resting spot.

After some time, we stop at what Hunter tells me is a gas station. I've never been to one, so I stare at everything in astonishment, trying to take in as much as I can.

Dad's beta, Adam, fuels the car, with me watching him curiously, ignoring the smell of that strange thing he pours into the hole on the side of the car.

"Wanna know what I'm doing, princess?" Adam teases, grinning at me in amusement.

"Mhm! - I nod frantically - What are you doing?"

"The thing I'm pouring in is called petrol and the car uses it to run. I won't give you specifics, but if I didn't do this, I wouldn't be able to drive." He patiently explains, but I don't understand a lot from it.

"Oooh..."

"You don't get it, do you?" He chuckles, seeing my lost expression.

"No." I admit immediately.

Adam smiles at me, taking the strange thing out of the hole and tucking it onto a weird hook on the big metal box behind me. There are numbers on a small screen. They started from 0, but now it's over 100.

"It's the price. Gas is not free. Unfortunately." Adam laughs, walking inside the building, with me following him like a lost puppy. Since my dad and Hunter are busy buying food, I stay glued to Adam, trailing after him wherever he goes. He's nice, I really like him.

He doesn't say anything about me following him, even deliberately slows his pace to help me keep up with him.

The more time I spend with Adam and dad, the less nervous I feel about meeting the pack. If the leaders are such nice people, then I don't think the people there can be bad. Dad assured me the pack is going to love me countless times, saying how hard they took the news of my and my mom's kidnapping. Adam said that ever since dad told the pack about finding me, they've been anxious to meet me and my mate.