Chapter 20

Red

I watch silently as realization dawns on my little mate. I noticed the change in her scent few days ago, but it was my mother who told me what it meant. I suspected this, but I wasn't sure.

"Grandchild? You're pregnant?" Brian quietly asks, gazing at my mate with tears in his eyes. Someone's emotional.

"I-"

"Yes, we're having a baby." I answer confidently when my little Skye can't find the right words. At my admission Skye turns to me with wide eyes before looking down to her stomach. She's not showing yet, but for someone with sharper senses, like me and my mother, the change is already noticeable.

"Red?" I hear the slight panic in my little mate's voice, so I immediately carry her away, leaving stunned Brian behind.

Heading straight to our favorite bench, carved from a fallen log, I sit down, setting my my on my legs. "Calm, my love." I try to soothe.

"I- I'm pregnant!" She cries out hysterically, shaking in my arms.

"I know." I proudly grin.

"Oh goddess! What if it's my fath-"

"It's mine!" I cut her off with a growl. Skye's tears stop immediately as she stares at me in shock.

"Can you tell?" She questions and I can't ignore the desperation in her voice.

"Yes. I'm a hybrid, so my senses are way sharper than a werewolf's, and I can easily sense our child. Since werewolf's pregnancy is only 4 to 5 months long, soon we'll be able to tell the gender and determine whether our pup will be a hybrid like me or not." I caress my mate's flat stomach lovingly, reveling in the fact that I'm going to be a father. Soon I'll hear my pup's heartbeat, I'll watch them come into this world.

"Are you angry?" Skye shyly asks, leaving me flabbergasted. How can she think I'd be mad she's pregnant with my pup?

"Angry? Love, you just made me the happiest wolf in the world. You're carrying my pup, why would I be angry about it?" I cup my little mate's cute face, gazing into her gorgeous chocolate eyes, letting her see my honesty.

"What if you're wrong? I've been used by so many men, it could-"

"Don't even finish that sentence. – I warn sternly – This is my pup, end of discussion. Besides, even if you got pregnant by one of those men, the pup would die once you got my mark, since I'm your mate. So don't torture yourself over this, love. It pains me to see you like this." I nuzzle my face into Skye's hair, inhaling her delicious scent, before pressing small kisses all over her face, making her giggle.

Once she finally relaxes in my embrace, I gently crush her to my chest, purring with delight.

'You freaked her out, mom!' I admonish my mother through the mind link, while Skye stays snuggled into my bare chest.

'Too bad. – mom laughs – But I had to let Brian know before he left. There's a really serious matter to talk about once you're back.' She warns then blocks me out. Pressing matter? What could be so important except for me and Skye having a pup?

My little mate and I go back to the house after a short while, when Skye's stomach starts demanding food quite loudly, causing a delicious redness adorn her cheeks.

"Did you calm down a little?" Mom asks without taking her eyes off the food she's making.

"Skylar, are you alright?" Brian sounds worried.

"I'm fine. It just shocked me and I kind of freaked out." Skye admits quietly, smiling at her father. It really warms my heart to see their relationship improve so quickly. I'm happy to know that Brian is my mate's father and not that fucker that kept her in the mine. The Alpha of the Crescent Moon Pack seems like a decent man and clearly cares about his daughter.