Chapter 9

Red

I wake up when I feel my little mate shake in my arms. A nightmare.

She quietly whimpers and I do the same thing as I do every night when Hunter lets me out. I crush her to my body and purr into her ear. On the first night I noticed the sound calms her down.

Lying down on my back, I keep her small body on my chest. After just few moments her whimpers quiet down and soon she's completely calmed down.

The first night she had a nightmare, Hunter actually woke her up, but once she fell back asleep it came back almost immediately. So we tried calming her my way. And it worked. I couldn't stop myself from rubbing my success in Hunter's face. Not literally, of course, since we share one body, but I reminded him about his failure about 300 times.

My little mate sleepily snuggles closer into my warm chest and I feel warmth spread through my body. She craves my closeness even after all she went through. I wanted to kill her father myself, but my mother already gave him exactly what he deserved – a slow, painful death. I would probably lose control and just rip his head off, but my mom's torture was much more satisfying to watch.

After a while I fall asleep, keeping my little mate caged with my arms, so she doesn't slip off.

When I wake up again, my little princess is still lying on my chest, but there are also fingers poking at my cheek. I turn my head, only to see Jax's grinning face.

"What are you doing, Jax?" I groggily ask, taking his hand off my face so he doesn't wake my mate up.

"Alpha Lucas is here. Mom wants you to come." He bounces on the bed grinning widely.

I feel my mate stir in my arms before she raises her head. Once she sees Jax, she scrambles off my chest, or rather tries to.

"Tell mom we'll be there soon." I tell my little brother and he runs out of the room.

"Red?" My little one gets my attention and I give her a smile, still keeping her on my chest.

"What is it, my little mate?"

"Can you let me get up now?" She asks expectantly.

"I like you right where you are." I smirk at the surprised look on her face.

"But I need to use the bathroom." She shyly tells me, making me chortle. I take my arms off her and she immediately runs off.

I change my clothes while my little one is in the bathroom then get out a set of clothes for her and sit on the edge of the bed, waiting for her.

"Let's get you dressed. We should go see my parents before mom sends someone to get us again." I take the shirt in my hands and give my little mate a meaningful look. She seems to catch onto my train of thoughts and lets me change her clothes with no objections.

I pick her up, getting a small squeak from her in response, and carry her to my father's office, where I'm met by my furious parents snarling at Alpha Lucas. I'm slightly confused, but once I walk further in, I understand their reaction. Right there on the couch sits none other than Victor, Lucas' son.

I don't even try to stop the growl that escapes me.

My little mate looks up at me in question before turning her head around. She whimpers fearfully before burying her face in the crook of my neck, tightening her arms around it. I sit at my father's right, keeping my mate wrapped in my arms, shielding her from the son of a bitch who keeps trying to catch a glimpse of her.