Chapter 18

Hunter

I can hear the patrol get beaten before a horde of wolves runs our way. I quickly pull Skye behind me, paying no mind to my parents and warrior coming.

A dark -haired man, looking to be in his mid-thirties, comes out of the woods, with a bunch of Lucas' warriors and some unknown wolves close behind. My dad comes forth and growls threateningly, while mom aims her bow at the intruder.

"Please, I mean no harm." The man pleads, raising his arms in surrender. He looks... tired.

"State your business before I kill you." Dad snarls, getting a quiet sigh from the man in response.

I watch stunned as a small adoring smile adorns his face when he notices my mate. The shock immediately turns to fury, making me growl loudly at him. "Take your eyes off her, rogue!"

My reaction snaps him out of the dreamy state. "Rogue?!" he exclaims in shock.

Mom drops her bow and approaches the guy, looking him over skeptically. "Who are you?"

"My name is Brian Davis. I'm the Alpha of the Crescent Moon Pack, located in Ontario in Canada. – the man introduces himself before turning to my mate, who's shaking behind me – You look just like your mother, Skylar." He sighs, a lone tear falling down his cheek.

"Hunter!" I hear Skye panic through the mind link and my priorities shift in a split second. I don't care about this man anymore, or the reason he came here. My mate needs me.

Ignoring the commotion in front of us, I pick up my mate and keep her pressed against my chest as I carry her back home.

"SKYLAR!!!" The man calls out, but Skye doesn't even raise her head to look at him, keeping her face buried in the crook of my neck.

Once we're in our bedroom, I lie down on the bed, with Skye on top of me.

"It's okay, baby, no one will hurt you." I assure her through the mind link.

"Some of those guys used to come to the mine." My whole body turns rigid at the revelation. I quickly relay it to my parents so they don't let the rogues leave.

"That Brian guy too? Did he hurt you?!"

"No, I don't know him. – she sighs – But he smells familiar." I can tell my little mate's confused, since she didn't recognize the man earlier.

"What do you mean 'familiar'?" I ask out loud, slowly sitting up and settling Skye on my legs.

"I feel like I know his smell. Like I've smelled it before. But not at the mine." Skye looks up and I can see the confusion on her face.

"What do you want me to do? I can kill him if that's what you want, but-" I'm cut off by dad barging into my room with a shocked face, silently staring at my mate.

"I need you to come with me. Skye too." With that he leaves, with me right behind him, carrying Skye in my arms.

"What's going on?!" I snarl when I see the man sitting on the couch in our living room with 2 wolves on his sides.

"Take a seat."

"Where are Lucas' warriors?!" I furiously question. They better not get away!

"They're still outside with the Deads watching them, why?" Mom catches my expression.

"Skye recognized them from the mine." I mind link her, deciding not to reveal anything in front of that Brian guy.

Mom gets angry, like I suspected. She leans into dad's ear and whispers something to him, getting a low angry growl in response before his eyes get misty as he mind links someone.

I relax slightly when mom gives me a reassuring nod, meaning the fuckers will be taken care of.

"Speak." Mom commands, turning to Brian with a hard look.

"As I said, my name is Brian Davis. And Skylar... is my daughter. – I feel Skye tense when she hears this – I've been looking for you for years, Skye." He looks at my mate with a sad expression, which turns pained when Skye snuggles into me in order to hide from him.

"Explain everything, Brian." Dad orders, getting a sigh in response.

"17 years ago, my mate and I finally succeeded in having a child. Due to the death of our firstborn, my mate couldn't get pregnant for a long time. That's why when Skye was born, we were beyond thrilled. When Skye was 2, my brother came to our pack, seeking refuge. He said that there was a group of Undeads that was trying to hunt him down. – Mom growls at this – I know, I know, he was the one in the wrong. He's always tried to become powerful. Our pack is the strongest one in Canada, but instead of my brother, it was me who got the Alpha position. I think that's where his idea of the Undeads came from."

"You said he came to you 15 years ago, but we know for a fact that he's been nearby for over 10 years." Dad sneers.

"That's... - Brian sighs – He arranged an attack on my pack, then took my mate and daughter away. I've been looking for them ever since. I felt the bond with my daughter when she first shifted, that's how I knew she's been here."

"What about the warriors from Lucas' pack? I'm guessing it was you who threatened their mates." I sneer, not buying his story.

"I did, yes. But I never asked them to go rogue. – he defends – I found few of them at the mine, where I caught scent of my mate and child. They didn't know who I was and bragged about what's been happening there. Once I heard what my daughter went through, I threatened to kill their mates unless they take me to her. In my opinion, a man who takes advantage of a defenseless girl has no right to have a mate. Those women will be better off without scumbags like them." Brian snarls, clearly angry at the men that hurt his child.

"Why did it take so long for you to come here?" Mom asks, leaning back against dad's chest with a challenging look.

"There were many misleads about my brother's whereabouts. I've been searching for my little Skye throughout the whole country, until I heard about the facility, where the Undeads were supposedly created."

"What's my mom's name?" Skye quietly asks, not taking her face out of the crook of my neck.

"Stephanie." Brian sighs sadly, clearly upset about losing her.

Skye raises her head and turns around in my arms to stare at him in shock. "Skye?"

"You're right. Mom told me that her real name was Stephanie, but she never let my father call her that." She gasps, tearing up.

"He's not your father!!!" Brian growls, but I can tell his fury is not directed at my girl.

"I'm sorry." Skye whimpers, hiding her face back in my neck. Brian realizes his mistake and gazes at her with a heartbroken expression.

"No, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have snapped at you. But that man is not your father, so don't call him that."

"Speak to her like that one more time and you'll end up in the cells along with your rogues." I threaten.

"I'm guessing you're my Skye's mate?"

"I am."

"Why did you bring those rogues here if you knew what they did to your daughter?" Dad asks.

"After I found out what was happening at that mine, I went to Bleak Moon Pack, where I heard from Alpha Lucas and Luna Violet about how you rescued my daughter from my brother. Luna Violet told me that one of the people who saved Skylar is her mate. That's why I decided to bring them here. – Brian's expression turns murderous – I wanted to deal with the men that hurt my baby once and for all. I knew her mate would like to punish them himself."

"You thought well. I will punish them for hurting my woman." I retort with pure conviction in my voice.

"Very well then." Mom gets up from the couch, with dad following right after. "We'll leave you to talk while we deal with the fuckers outside." She announces and walks out.

Skye turns around in my lap to face her father, still tense and apprehensive.

"So, you're my dad..."