Chapter 22

Hunter

I wake up to Skye sleepily stirring on top of me. She had no trouble falling asleep, doing so still in my arms while I carried her inside, but during the night she woke up a few times.

"Good morning, love." I greet when those gorgeous chocolate eyes meet mine. Skye groans tiredly and drops her head on my chest. I stroke her hair, massaging her scalp with my fingers soothingly.

"Morning... What time is it?" She quietly mumbles.

"Almost 11."

"What do we have to do today?"

"You can start by getting out of bed." I whip my head towards the door, where I'm met by my mother and Brian. They're both staring at us with smiles on their faces and their arms crossed against their chests, leaning against the doorframe. They fist-bump, grinning widely as Skye scrambles off my body and hurriedly tries to tame her wild hair, muttering apologies continuously.

"I didn't hear you come in..." I trail off, confused, as I sit up and move to the edge of the bed, facing the intruders.

"The whole house was soundproofed, so you won't hear a thing. Lun-, I mean Thea – Brian corrects when mom glares at him – told me how to get everything ready." I nod in understanding, but when his words register, I turn to my mom to gape at her in astonishment.

"You knew how to soundproof the house back home and didn't do it?! I had to listen to you every night!!!" I exclaim, absolutely bewildered.

Mom, being mom, just shrugs. "I'm not ashamed of anything."

I sigh, resigned, knowing it's no use arguing with her.

"It's almost lunch, so why don't you freshen up and come to the kitchen... The pack would like to meet you later." Brian suggests and walks out with my mom. Those two really hit it off. I should call dad. Payback for the teasing.

I wordlessly get off the bed and pick up my shell-shocked mate then carry her to the adjoined bathroom. After we've both taken care of our needs, we take a hot bath and I take advantage of the fact the walls are soundproof, gently making love to my woman.

"Finally!" Mom smirks knowingly as I carry my Skye to the kitchen.

"Hello." Skye shyly greets everyone at the table as I sit in the empty seat beside my mom. It's the only one left, as if everyone knew I wouldn't let my mate sit on her own. I have a feeling my mom had something to do with it.

"Good morning." They teasingly greet back.

'What do you want to eat?' I ask my little mate through the mind link.

'I don't know. Anything is fine.' Skye gives me a shy gaze, wordlessly asking me to not put her on the spot. I know how much she hates it, which is why I'm even more touchy and possessive than usual, trying to reassure her before she meets the pack later.

I quietly fill our plates then pour us some coffee, knowing she likes it more than tea.

'Thank you.'

'You're welcome my love.'

We eat in silence, with occasional small talk about the pack and stuff. I notice mom being slightly less active than always, sometimes zoning off. It must be hard for her to be so far away from dad. I can't even imagine leaving my Skye and going a thousand miles away.

My mom suddenly stiffens, staring out the window. Something's wrong.

I concentrate on listening into our surroundings, trying to hear what caught mom's attention. I may be a hybrid, but mom's senses are slightly sharper than mine.