insomnia | Host x reader

(A/N)— it's five in the morning and i've been awake since one, so take a wild guess as to where i got the inspiration for this story. i just wish i had some hosty hugs™️ in real life. it would make falling asleep a hell of a lot easier. :/

Can't sleep, can't sleep, can't sleep.

No matter how dark my room is, how comfy my blankets are, or how tired i am, i just can't fucking sleep. 

it's not like this is an uncommon occurrence or anything, but whenever it happens it irritates the shit out of me. Seriously, i just want a good nights rest for once. that isn't too much to ask, is it? i don't think it is. Still, if there's a god up there, they don't listen to my silent wishes to just pass out already. after tossing and turning in my bed for what feels like forever but in reality was probably only a few minutes, i sigh and unceremoniously roll off of my bed and onto the floor with a thud.

i'm so tired that it doesn't even hurt when i hit the floor. i just sigh again and lay on the floor, willing myself to move. eventually, my body listens, and i'm able to stand, albeit unsteadily. i trudge over to the door and open it, walking down the long hallway with my favorite blanket wrapped around my shoulders like a cape. majestic.

i slowly make my way down the stairs and into the living room, unsurprised to see The Host sitting on the couch listening to some documentary on tv. i make my footsteps slightly louder so that i don't startle him, since he isn't using his narrations and is therefore unable to 'see' me. upon hearing me, he turns. 

"The Host greets (y/n) with a small smile and asks them what they are doing up this late. or rather, up this early."

i sit on the couch next to him and wrap up in my blanket.

"Dunno, i just can't sleep. i haven't been able to sleep for almost 48 hours now."

Host hums, his brow furrowing in what looks like an expression of concern, though it's hard to tell with the bandages covering a third of his face.

"Surely (y/n) knows that it's unhealthy to be up for that long." he says.

"yeah, well you're awake too, buddy. i won't stand for this hypocrisy. and that's why i'm sitting."

Host chuckles and shrugs. "Touché." 

he then holds his arms out in an inviting gesture and i use the opportunity to wrap my arms around his middle and rest my head in his chest. this is our routine when neither of us can sleep. i guess it just helps us to have someone to hold onto when we fall asleep.

Host shuts off the tv, leaving the house silent apart from our breathing and his occasional muttered narrations. he leans back in the couch until he's sprawled over it like a cat and i'm curled up between him and the couch. the position makes me feel secure and safe. then, host begins to gently run his fingers through my hair, and i melt.

i make a contented sound and bury my face in his shoulder, relishing the comforting warmth that radiates from him. soon i allow my eyes to slip closed and the darkness of sleep to take over. 

                                                                                      ~~~•••~~~

The Host smiles down at his companion, who is sleeping peacefully. with his narrations he can see the adorable way their face is smushed into the warm fabric of his trenchcoat. he brushes the hair from (y/n)'s face and adjusts their blanket so that it completely covers them. Host then carefully leans down to press a gentle kiss to (y/n)'s forehead.

"Good night."