two ☆ first day

AUGUST
of twenty-nineteen

narrator's pov.

elena headed to oakland high school, humming the melody of her favorite song as she walked. it was the first day back from summer vacation, and many students weren't excited to be attending school again.

"i want to cry," rosaline kay monrae groaned, leaning against a random locker, "school makes me depressed."

"hey, look at it on the bright side," presley katelyn winters suggested, shutting her locker, "it's your senior year, and you get to graduate this may!"

just in time, elena met up with two of her best friends, "hey!"

presley and rosaline greeted the dark-haired girl. elena asked, "have you guys seen the boys yet?"

elena shook her head, "i haven't seen either of them since the last day of school."

the three girls began to walk further, and head to where the senior hallway was located. many people greeted them since they were well-known.

"so... how are you and jonah doing?" presley teased rosaline, nudging at her elbow.

"we hit our ten month anniversary two days ago," rosaline gushed, "he took me out to dinner and then we watched the sunset on the beach right after."

when they reached their desired location, elena told presley and rosaline to remain quiet. she tip-toed toward the two blond boys who were organizing their lockers, and she jumped on the back of the non-natural blond.

"oh my gosh!" daniel james seavey shrieked, "what is going on?"

elena laughed, and jumped off of him, "hello, it's nice to see you again."

daniel laughed, and hugged the petite girl in front of him. she moved toward corbyn, and engulfed him in a hug as well. rosaline and presley did the same, but instead of moving back in front of where the two boys were standing like elena and rosaline did, she remained next to corbyn as he put his arm around her shoulder.

"how was everyone's summer?" elena asked.

"hawaii and bali were amazing," daniel answered, "my family and i traveled for so long, and it was so beautiful."

"when jonah and i traveled to florida, we had so much fun," rosaline added.

"how was the cruise?" elena inquired, facing presley and corbyn.

"amazing," corbyn answered, "we went to the eastern caribbean, and it was such a fun experience. plus, i got to spend it all with my best friend."

presley smiled at the blond, but she also felt a sting in her heart. her and corbyn had been best friends since they were babies, but they were never more than that.

always friends.

elena was the most well-known of her friend circle. she participates in many school activities, so everyone seems to know her. many boys seem to find rosaline appealing, but they all know about her relationship with jonah. presley's a bit more shy and reserved compared to her two best friends, but she was still liked by everyone at oakland.

-

on the other side of town, the first day of pineland high school was occurring as well. oakland and pineland were big rivals considering they were in the same district.

zachary dean herron walked into the back doors of pineland high school with his head down and his earbuds popped in. he was never popular, and wasn't well-known at his school.

"good morning, zach!" june rome finley remarked, popping up from behind zach's locker.

he gave her a slight smile, and continued to put his belongings into his locker.

june also has a quiet and reserved personality, but compared to zach, she tries to be more social and participates in more school-wide events than him.

two boys joined june at zach's locker.

"we have four minutes until first period, hurry up," jonah marais roth frantzich groaned.

surprisingly, jonah was always a popular kid. he's a year-round athlete, and everyone at pineland high school knows who he is. many people wondered why he hung out with the so-called lame kids of the school.

"chill, jonah, ms. rodriguez won't care if we're late," jack robert avery reassured.

jack was similar to jonah. he played many sports, but he's more laidback. jonah is more concerned on his social life compared to his friends.

"how was your anniversary with rose?" june asked jonah, tilting her head.

"she's the best thing that's ever happened to me," jonah gushed, leaning against the lockers.

even with his close friends, zach was still quiet and unsocial. it wasn't that he was uncomfortable, but he was only his true self with select people, and that didn't include june, jack, and jonah.

"do you guys want to crash an oakland pool party?" jack inquired.

"hell yeah," jonah remarked, "i'll ask rose if she's going."

"i'm down," june replied, "what about you, zach?"

the brunet closed his locker, "u-um, my mom wants me to babysit reese. i can't."

zach never agreed to plans that involved being social with others. he had been avoiding plans for years, so the other three had eventually caught on that he just didn't want to go to many events.

-

"isabella davis is having a back-to-school pool party right when the day is over, are you guys going?" presley asked her lunch table.

"yeah, i'll go," rosaline responded.

"we're in," daniel added, answering for him and corbyn.

"what about you, elena? are you coming?" presley questioned, the other three now facing the dark-haired girl.

elena was deep in her thoughts. she kept thinking about what occurred to her the day before at the sunflower field.

something about that guy is different, she kept thinking to herself.

"hello? elena?" presley laughed, waving her hand across the girl's face.

she snapped out of her thoughts, "oh, sorry. i don't think i'm going to go. my mom needs me to babysit my step-brother."

elena knew that what she said wasn't true, but she needed an excuse to visit the sunflower field with hopes of seeing the same guy again.

...

a / n :

zach and elena content coming next chapter (: