Chapter Seventy-One

A/N: You guys — YOU GUYS — we're at
31 T H O U S A N D views and
2 T H O U S A N D votes!!!!!!!!

That's so many!! Holy crap how did this happen omg you guys are the best ilysm :,)

————————————————————
"¿Cómo está tu hija, eh?"
————————————————————

"Rise and shine, Midtown Science and Technology," Betty Brant said on the school's tv.

"Students, don't forget about your homecoming tickets," Jason smiled and then turned to Betty, "Do you have a date for homecoming?"

"Thanks, Jason, but I already have a date," she answered uncomfortably.

"Okay," Jason frowned. Betty smiled at the camera awkwardly.

"Yeah..."

With a sigh, Peter opened up his locker to grab his books. The internship incident was still fresh on his mind and the last place he wanted to be right now was school.

"Join me, and together...we'll build my new Lego Death Star."

Peter turned around to find Ned standing there, holding a Palpatine Lego figure in his hand. He glanced around.

"What!" he said, wide eyed.

"So lame," he heard a cheerleader say as she was passing by. Ned grinned, oblivious.

"No way!" Peter grinned, ignoring her, "That's awesome. How many pieces?"

"Three thousand eight hundred and three," Ned said proudly.

"That's insane," Peter breathed, taking his math notebook out.

"I know!" Ned said, giddy, "You wanna build it tonight?"

"No, I can't tonight. I've got the Stark-"

"Mhmm. Stark internship," Ned sighed. Ever since summer, Peter had almost totally forgotten about him. It was the Stark internship all day, every day. With Adelaide not replying to his texts and Peter busy with his internship, summer had been an absolute dud. Family game night with his parents was starting to get old and he missed hanging out with his friends like they used to. Peter closed his locker, glancing at his best friend guiltily.

"Yeah," Peter said quietly, starting to walk down the hall, "exactly."

"Always got that internship," Ned said.

"Yeah, well, hopefully, soon it'll lead to a real job with them," Peter shrugged, hoping he'd understand.

"That would be so sweet," Ned agreed.

"Right?" Peter sighed. If only.

"He'd be all, 'Good job on those spreadsheets, Peter. Here's a gold coin'," Ned said. Peter gave him a look. Ned grinned sheepishly.

"I don't know how jobs work," he admitted.

"That's exactly how they work," Peter chuckled.

"Oh," Ned laughed, "I'll knock out the basic bones of the Death Star at my place. And, and then I'll come by afterwards..."

The rest of his words faded away as they came to the end of the hall and Peter's eyes locked onto a certain girl walking ahead of him.

Liz Allen.

It was like everything was happening in slow motion. She brushed her fingers through her hair as she talked with her friends. For one, fleeting moment, their eyes meant and Peter thought his little heart was going to explode. He was mesmerized.