Chapter One Hundred Thirty-Five

A/N: i have big news!

if everything goes accordingly to plan (which it never does), then we have exactly TWENTY chapters of this book left!!

which means in about 20 weeks or so, this book will finally come to an end after three years. omg. i'm gonna hold off my speech until we actually reach the end, but i just wanted to let you guys know that things are gonna crash really hard and really fast so just be prepared!

and also this book will end on a cliffhanger

BUT before you panic, may i remind you that there WILL be a sequel directly after so don't worry, i've got it all under control 😁

just a friendly reminder, i have updated the playlist a whole lot as well so if you wanna check that out again as you read this chapter, feel free to :)

now, about this chapter, it's sitting at a hefty 6,000 words so it's pretty long and i'm gonna have to take you guys through a little history lesson you probably aren't gonna like but have fun!

————————————————————

"Lukov...I'm so sorry."

————————————————————

Adelaide was rifling through her closet while listening to Vivian talking about her date with Ned over the phone.

"I wish you could have seen it," she breathed, "In the evening, the candles and lights and everything just looked so pretty on the water."

Yesterday, Ned had taken Vivian out for dinner on a boat on the Hudson River. His uncle apparently worked at the pier and so he had asked him for a favor and was able to get a boat for about half an hour out on the river as they had dinner.

"And he was so nervous," she laughed.

"Well," Adelaide said, pulling out a pair of old jeans and throwing them onto her bed, "That's Ned for you."

"Everything went so well, I'm so happy," Vivian grinned and Adelaide smiled.

"I'm really happy for both of you," she said. Ned really deserved the best and Adelaide trusted Vivian with him. They made a great couple. And even though they had only met a few months ago, when they were around each other, they behaved as if they had known each other for years.

"Thanks," Vivian smiled, "And now that we've had our first date, I can't wait for the dance. I keep trying my dress on for no reason. Can you believe it's almost here? I mean, I know we still have so much left to do, but still!"

Adelaide, for the moment being, decided to pretend that there weren't more important things occupying her mind. Things that involved her past and possibly murder. Two words that always seemed to go hand in hand.

"I know, I'm very excited too," she smiled, thinking of how this would be her first dance with Peter, "We're going to have a lot of fun."

"Definitely."

"Listen, I have to go, but I'll talk to you later, okay?" she said, pulling out a beanie and then closing the closet doors shut.

"Yeah, I have to go too. Bye!" she said. Adelaide hung up the phone, tossing it on the bed, next to her pants.

She looked around her room, letting a heavy breath out through her mouth and stressfully running her hands through her hair before letting them fall to her sides. She stared at the clothes she had picked out and took a minute to tap out and reconsider her decision to go after Graves like this. Tony and Pepper would be nothing short of furious if they were to find out. This was beyond stupid.