Chapter Four

A/N: So I didn't get to see Spider-Man: Homecoming outside because it rained. And I was really looking forward to it. :/

Anyway, this chapter is shorter than the last one (really, it's half the last chapter) and this is the last chapter I have written and edited so the next chapter might or might not be updated in two days. I have chapter 5 finished for the most part, but I still need to edit it because it's an important chapter to the plot and I need to make sure that I don't give too much away.

This chapter is short mainly because it's a filler and I really like these two guys working together (hint: they always make the problem worse when they do) and because I need to use this chapter to set up the next one. There's one newish character, more Pepper and Irondad parenting, more anxiety, and a lottt more questions. Because who doesn't love a million unanswered questions? Oh, you don't? Sorry :)

————————————————————

"It's all just a theory."

————————————————————

Morning came too early.

Adelaide couldn't fall asleep until 4 am and her eyes were wide open at 7. After tossing and turning for an hour, she decided to get dressed because she knew wasn't going to get any more sleep. Three hours would have to do.

She begrudgingly trotted into the bathroom, not even bothering to look at her reflection. Her dark circles weren't going to help her feel any more awake than she already was. She washed the chlorine out from her hair and when she stepped out of the shower, she noticed the clothes on her bed. It was from Pepper's closet, she concluded when the shirt fell off her shoulder.

For a minute, she just sat there, running her fingers over her scar over and over again. It was pretty faint, but she ironically felt a sense of safety knowing it was there. Sighing, she pulled her sleeve over it.

She left her room, her stomach leading her into the kitchen. Tony was sitting there, one hand holding up his head and the other holding a glass of juice. He was barely awake and didn't notice her come in. Adelaide smirked. She opened the fridge and shut it loudly, making him jolt awake and accidentally spill the glass of juice onto himself. Adelaide laughed quietly.

"I'm guessing the couch wasn't too comfortable?" she asked teasingly. He grumbled something under his breath, standing up.

"You've been waiting to say that since last night, haven't you?" he asked, glaring at her.

"Maybe." Tony rolled his eyes.

"Don't think you've won," he muttered, walking past her in anger. Adelaide laughed after she heard his footsteps fade away down the hall and poured herself a glass of juice. She realized the tv was on and the news were playing.

"Last night, two officials found a man dead at the local swi-"

She jumped when she felt someone tap her shoulder, spilling the juice all over herself. The teenager swung around ready to fight him, but he was already down the hall.

"Tony!" she yelled angrily, but all she got was laughter. She looked down at herself; the shirt and pants were both ruined. Adelaide marched back to her room and pulled out the pants and shirt that she was wearing when she came here. Someone must have washed them, she realized. She quickly pulled them on and went back into the kitchen. Tony still wasn't there. He must be taking a shower again. Adelaide laughed to herself. They were even now, she decided.

"Uh, hi."

Adelaide turned around, surprised to see someone sitting on the couch. She narrowed her eyes. She had seen him somewhere before...