Chapter 44

Eva

"Carlos, I didn't know--"

"How long?" He finally spoke, I faltered. "How long have you been poisoning me?"

My heart constricted,

"How long!" he raised his voice, causing me to jump where I stood.

"6 months." I admitted, biting back my tears.

He didn't say it but his face read complete betrayal, like he had been hoping it wasn't true, that I didn't try to kill him.

"Carlos, I know I screwed up, but can you please hear me out." He doesn't respond so I continued, "The night I met you, I didn't know it was you, I swear I didn't, I didn't even know you were in the Mafia or related to Grabriel, then I met Antonio and he told me who you were. He said I would lose my brother if I didn't, I...." I stopped abruptly when I notice him stagger to stand

"Carlos--" I reach to help but he slapped my hands away,

"Do not touch me with those filthy, deceitful hands of yours." he spoke through his teeth, his eyes darkening with anger, then using a walking stick, he walked to a drawer beside his bed and pulled out what resembled a folder,

"This is who you betrayed me for." He said, whilst he threw the folder at me, confused I reached and picked it up. "You are naive. That boy as been using you, including the fact that he set you up from the start."

I shook my head hysterically, as I read it.

"This is not true, Nate wouldn't do that to me."

"Then explain why he's fled and left you."

I couldn't breathe, my chest heaving as I tried to wrap my head around the proof in front of me, Nate wouldn't have set me up, not after everything we've been through-

"I made the mistake of expecting too much from you. I have known for quite some time you've been deceptive and I said I would give you time to come clean, I thought you were... What's the word...different." Carlos stared at me, his eyes were so dark I could practically see it's boiling rage, "I shouldn't have expected anything less from an English woman."

"Carlos, I'm sorry-" I pleaded with him,

"I don't trust easily but I made the mistake of trusting you, but yet you choose to be loyal to my enemy, you tried to kill me."

The door creaked open suddenly and Luis walked in, he doesn't lift me a glance and just approaches Carlos,

"Yes, Don."

"Get her out of my sight before I kill her." he growled, turning away from me.

"Yes, sir." Luis nodded and turned to me. I didn't try to fight him as he led me out of the room. Asides Carlos and Aurora, Luis was the only other person that treated me with kindness.

I understood that his job was to obey Carlos but I had to make him listen to me,

"Luis." I called quietly as we walked out of Carlos's room, "I can't imagine how much you despise me right now but if you would just listen to my side of the story, I had no idea--"

"I'm sure you feel like I'm on your side or that I want to listen to anything you say-" He interrupted, "But my loyalty lies with Carlos, unlike yours of course."

"I'm loyal to him.." I argued and he scoffed, "Luis, You know I love Carlos-"

He laughed shortly,

"I don't know what they teach you in America, Eva. But here we don't poison the people we claim to love." he said.

"Please."