Log Horizon

I do not own Log Horizon and this is a Dark Rebirth story I just am skipping the attack.

I know I'm going to die and for some reason I can't help but feel like...I failed him.  I look at my phone and it says "Connected. Welcome to the Newest World Expansion of the world of Elder Tales."

Then I'm on a beach looking up at the earth. I see pinpoints of light rise from the beach. Memories drift through my mind and as I see one particular beating I grab it. I take it in my hand and crush it. As I open my hand I drift up.

The next thing I know I am looking at the paws of my avatar from Elder Tales, my favorite MMO. I make a fist and as I open it I see claws pop out. I look at my other hand and find I'm holding my staff. The weight feels real and seems to pulse with power.

I then realize I have a display like I was in game. As I'm about to start accessing stuff a goblin bursts from the underbrush. Without thinking I lash out and call out "Branch Strike."

Suddenly, a large branch bursts from my staff and blows the goblin away. Sadly, wherever you find one goblin there are always more. Thankfully, I've learned most of my spell rotation so well that even if they nerfed my class I can do it almost all day and in my sleep. It seems like for over an hour that I'm fighting for my life and I might be.

Thankfully I don't have to as a familiar looking sorcerer and tank barrel in. As a ninja dispatches the last of the horde we all sag. I look up to see tags over them.

"Shiroe? Nautsugu?" I ask.

They look at me and blink "Kamari," Shiroe asks.

"What's the Berserk Healer doing here? I thought you were in the US ," Nautsugu asks.

I cringe at the title. "I am or was. I remember dying and waking up on this beach then I'm facing goblins. What are you two doing here? Did you die too," I ask.

They share a look as a female ninja lands.

"Who's the cat," she asks in a deadpan tone.

I smile swish my tails. I take it as a sign that I really am my avatar, a short green feline with twin tails.

"Hey chill out, this is the one and only Berserk Healer Kamari," Nautsugu says dropping an arm over me that earns him an instant reaction of my arm changing to a bear arm and punching him.

"Sorry, Nautsugu," I apologize and heal him.

"Kamari is a healer we worked with in the past. She always was a good healer but before we started teaming up she would pull aggro off bad or inexperienced tanks. She wound up with a beast form that would AOE heal as she took damage after clearing a challenge," Shiro says as he downs a potion.

"Kamari, this Akatsuki, is a Assassin I ran with before the expansion. She is a pretty good and an expert in stealth," Shiroe says.

"Kamari is also from America," Natsugo says.

"Really..." Akatsuki looks me up and down as she shakes my hand.

As we head to the town we deal with a few more mobs. Thankfully between the group of Shiro directing us, Natsugo tanking, Ms. Ninja, Akatsuki, DPSing and me on heals, we make it without trouble. Thankfully we also learn how to manage our spells and techniques. I also get them to let me draw more aggro on purpose to test if my old mode still works. It does but I admit I am tired.

I drop to the ground and open my inventory.

"Heh, this actually feels kinda good. Look I still have the feast items. Eat up guys," I say handing out some of it.

"Ugh, this tastes off," Nautsugu says as he takes a bite.

"Yeah it's bland," Akatsuki says.

"It's like eating cardboard," I say.

"Yeah not what I was expecting from a premium quest reward," Akatsuki says before finishing it.

As we get to town we sigh in relief. The town is filled with players and npcs.