A Hyrulian Breath

Ok I felt it was time to share this one.

I am lying there crying when I feel the tattoo burn. I hear a trio of voices call to me. I can't make out the words.

"Definitely brave enough,"

"Hmm the mind isn't bad,"

"Power but only for others..."

"No she is mine!"

"Fine, Faora take her but she'll need training from the others too,"

"Hmph I know that...good luck..."

I wake up on the floor of the temple. A dark skinned woman comes into my field of vision.

"Xinkfa! What are you doing here," she says walking over to me, clearly upset.

I blink and shake my head as memories come rushing into my head. I look down at my hands and see they are dark but I register they are from a staining and not my natural skin tone. I'm a teenage girl who was found wandering a number of years ago. I was taken in by her and my momma, Nedu and raised as a Gerudo. I have the aptitude as any other girl but I never seem to back down even when I should. I remember classes at the temple and my old memories seem like a dream.

I blink again feel my hair shift. A long braid of golden hair falls down. She gasps and I register this is my adopted mother, Celia.

"No.no.no, your hair dye was supposed to last longer this time. It's not even close to the new moon," she says.

Stroking my hair she frowns. Slowly she looks at me and sighs. "Well we can play this one of two ways. We can say you attuned your magic and this is a side effect or you can make a small explosion off and char yourself," she says as she tenderly strokes my hair.

"I know it hurts but I think it's better to keep your attunement under wraps," she says with the pain clear in her voice.

Her father supposedly came from the sheikah village. Mom was definitely attractive. Her pale blue eyes staring out above her thin, rounded-nose I guess were of it. She was a bit more of a merchant working to help get the supplies the tribe couldn't make. Her ample bust was also an indicator. Momma would joke that they made her the sexiest woman around.  

Momma was the opposite petite but solid muscle. She served as mom's escort for years, before mom proposed. Momma had found me when I was very tiny scouting on one of their trips.

When my hair first started coming in blonde they dyed it red. I really only knew my natural color because they told me, when they started having to dye my hair more frequently. Mom fussed over me and I huffed.

"Why should I hide it? I mean I can't help I attune easily. I'm not afraid. I'll happily face whatever they want to throw at me," I say rolling my eyes.

"Yes your momma and I know this but the head priestess wants to wait for the festival," she says.

"Yeah, Sister Resha was the one who told me to come here and pray to the Goddesses," I say as I look at my mother. "After an hour I could swear I heard voices and my back burned. Then I must have passed out until you got here," I say as I reach back to the back of my neck.

"What? Don't tell me..." Mom says as she turns me around. "Your brand..."

"My what?!" I exclaim.

Suddenly, voices start echoing down the hall.

"No time, I guess we'll go for the third option," she says as she pulls out her knife.

She grabs my hair and with a single swipe slices it almost to my scalp. The next second she has scooped up some red sand and rubbed into my hair.

"Well Xinkfa lets get home to finish your purification," she says loudly.

We walk out of the temple and I see Sister Resha. She gives me a look that has contempt filling it. I do my best to smile. When we make it to our simple brick home.

"When we found you years ago you had a brand of the triforce on your back but I was able to get the priestess to heal it with a fairy blessing," she says tracing a finger over my scar.