What Lies Behind Red Lipstick (on going)

Chapter 1

"How do you want us to call you?"

"Uhm, Rose, just call me Rose."

"Ok Rose, can you tell us something about yourself?"

"My name is Rosemarie Mendoza Suarez, Rose for short.  24 years old, still single but happy, I was born and grew up in Manila but currently living in Makati with my only sister.  I lost my parents when I was just 14 and my sister was the one who took care of me since then.  I graduated from University of Sto. Tomas  as a varsity scholar with a degree of Business Office Administration.  Yes, I am into sports, volleyball to be exact.  Since we dont have sufficient income to support my studies in UST because as we all know UST was one of the expensive universities in the Philippines, I tried out for volleyball team and luckily accepted and given a full scholarship.  Aside from sports, I am also into singing and dancing, drawing and writing. Though I am also part of the Theater Club, unlike volleyball these theatric skills are just my hobbies and frustrations. Well, I tried once, I'd become a band vocalist for a couple of months then afterwards the band was given an opportunity for a Korea contract which was too hard for me to decide. And since I dont want to leave my sister alone and I need to continue my studies, I quit from the band and stayed here in the Ph."

"So you go clubbing?"

"No sir, I am not into clubbing anymore after I left the band.  I just satisfied this hunger in me to sing in front of a live audiences. And I was so happy with that experience."

"And you dont have any plans to continue that frustration?"

"As what as you said sir, it's just a frustration.  Well, a hobby.  After those months of singing, I am already satisfied.  I dont have any plans to make it as a career.  Its part of my history now and never will be in my future plans."

"You said, you're also a writer?"

"Yes and no.  Yes because I do write and everyone who writes is a writer but then no, I dont call myself a writer in a professional way.  I do write but all my stories were written in tagalog but its still lirerature thou.  So to cut the story short, as an amatuer, I really dont consider myself a writer."

"Ok then, how about your job experiences?"

"For 4 years, I worked at one of the largest real estate company here in the country.  I work there as a department secretary where my job description was basically office management, clerical and administrative duties."

"And why did you left the company?"

"It's not that I dont love my job.  I do love my job, my  bosses, my collegues.  But it's time for me to take one step forward and setting aside my personal attachment with my job and putting priority on my professional advancement.  I am not getting any younger and I dont feel advancing with my previous job.  I know I can do more, I can do better.  I want to challenge myself.  I want to learn more, to know more.  I want to be more."

"And you think that what you want more can be found here?"

"Honestly sir, I dont think so, I know so." I answered in confidence.

I saw onto their eyes how impressed they are on how I answer their question, on my confidence, and on my attittude.  I know, change that- I AM SURE I got this job and Ate will be very proud of me.

"Ok Ms. Rose, that will be all for today.  You can go back to the waiting area outside and please wait for the announcement.  We still have numbers of applicants outside and let's just hope that you're one of the four Executive Assistant that we are looking for. Thank you Rose."

What? That's it? Do I really have to wait?  Can you just tell me if I am hired or not? I thought myself.  If only I could say it out loud I will do so, but it's not proper, so I just gave them my best smile and say my thank you.

"Betty, please assist Ms. Rose outside and do call the next applicant."

On our way out from the conference room, I can still feel that adrenaline in me.  Being with this kind of interview, a panel interview, were four good looking man does the interview,  it challenged me.  I really love this feeling that I don't want it to end, I haven't felt nervous .  A piece of cake.

Betty, the receptionist and I proceed to the waiting area where eight other applicants were patiently waiting for their turn and for the announcement. No vacant chair to sit in so I'm still standing waiting for the chair that will be emptied by the next interviewee.

"Miss Patricia Flores please." Betty called out.

Every body seems busy and no body stood up.  

"Miss Patricia Flores." Betty called out again but this time with much louder voice.

Everyone looked at each other with eyes asking if she's the one called out.  "Maybe she already left." I whispered to Betty.

"Is there any Patria Flores here?" Betty asked out loud.

Still no body stood up.  She almost went back to the conference room when someone shouted-

"Ay puke!"

Woah, behaviour. I told myself.  Every one looked at her.

"Sorry nahulog kasi yung bag ko." she said with a grin.

"Excuse me miss, are you Patricia Flores?" Betty asked once more.

"Huh? Sorry pakiulit hindi ko narinig?" after saying, she took off the head set on her ears.

Every body laughed including me. That answer are question.

"Ikaw ba si Patricia Flores?  Tagalog na yan naintindihan mo na sana?"  Irate answer of Betty.

"Yes its me, Is it my turn?" Again with a grin.

Every body just say duh!  She's just not only look stupid, she's also think and act stupid.

"Yes its your turn.  Please follow me."

When she stood up, I looked at her from head to foot and studied her every inch.

Long straight hair, rebonded!
Shoulder length gold-coated earings, fake!
Exagerrated make up, cheap!
One inch below the ass dress, super cheap!
Nice pair of legs, in fairness.
3-inches killer stilettos, ukay!

That's too much.  As I walked closely to her and about to take her vacated sit I wouldnt missed that, that smell, what's that smell? Victoria Secret? So sweet, yuck!  As we going to pass thru each other I saw her gave me a smile and seeing part of her teeth was stained with her pink lipstick. So groose!

I cant help but to say, "Excuse me miss."

"Yes".  I saw those teeth once again.

"Uhm, you left your bag."  and gave it to her with pretending smile.

"OMG, sorry I porgot."  She run towards me and took her bag.  "Thank you."

"That's ok social climber."  I whispered the last two words.

"Ano?" she asked.

"I said good luck." which she believed in.

"Ow, that's sweet.  Thank you."  with that disturbing smile again.

Did I heard it right? Porgot? Does she knows the difference of F and P? and Louis Vuitton huh?  Greenhills?  I whispired to myself as I took of my sit.

"Oo mukha ngang Greenhills. Hihi." the girl beside me agreed and laughed.

"Huh, excuse me? Are you talking to me?"  I asked sarcastically nicely.

"Oo, sabi mo kasi Greenhills yung bag nun babae."  She told me with a big grin.

"So you heard it?  Uhm, no bad intention, its just a plain comment."  I lied.

"I know.  By the way I'm Olivia but you can call me Via."  She offered her hand as she introduced her self.

"Hi, I'm Rose." I answered briefly and ignored her hand.

"Ah, nice meeting you." she looked offended.

"Same here.  Uhm, I'm sorry about not shaking your hand, you see my hands are full." showing her both of my hands, one with my bag and one with my evelope.

"I understand." she smiled.

After a short second, I can still see her from the side.  What's wrong with this girl, can't she quit staring at me?  I dont want to start the converstation between us, but how come she never stopped staring, is there anything wrong with my face? The heck, "Excuse me, is there anything wrong with my face?" I asked with a bit loud voice and everybody looked at our direction.

"Huh? Wala naman.  Sorry." she answered.

"So what are you looking at? I'm getting uncomfortable and getting me conscious, so if you won’t mind." I annoyingly told her.