Chapter 35

Chapter 35

"Your decaf Rose." Dave hand me a hot coffee.

"Thank you." my short reply.

"I heard you're sick.  What have you brought here?" he asked.

"Via.  I was so worried that I have to rushed myself here to check on her." my honestly lied answer.

"You're really a friend Rose.  But for your own sake, you should go home and take some rest.  You can always do the visit once you're ok." Dave hold my hand and melted just that instant.

"I'm fine Dave.  Via needed me now." I managed to show him my smile.

"As you say so." he smiled back.

"So Dave, would you mind me asking?"

"What?"

"Uhm, what happen to Via.  Why is she arrested?" I already knew the answer but have to hear it from him, just to be sure.

"That was confidential Rose, I must say."

"Is that so?" I was really disappointed.

"But-  alright, I'll tell it to you.  Since you'd been involved with Pete's case.  So please smile, you're more prettier when you're smiling." he pressed my hand and grinned.

"Really."  It excites me and at the same time blused me for a moment.

"There.  You're really pretty." he stares at me and cupped my face with his both hands. Is he going the kiss me? I asked myself. Though I loved the thought of kissing the only man I love, I need to focus for what I intent to do.

"Uhm, Inspector?" I took his hand off of my face.

"Ah, sorry." he apoligized.  "Where were we?" he asked.

"You're about to tell me why Via now's in jail?" I reminded him even though what I want to tell him is that You're about to kiss me.

"Ah, yeah.  Well, last night at the bar, I received a text from Pete's number.  It was really a surprised.  We tried to call Pete several times after his missing and couldn't reach him.  We all thought that he was kidnapped and dead by now unless it was kidnapped-for-ransom.  The message clearly says that a package was sent to my house with evidences of Pete's missing.  After that message, I hurriedly went home and found a package placed on my doorstep."

"And what's with the package?  How does it involve Olivia?"

"To cut the story short Rose, what's inside the package were all evidences of Olivia's connection with Peter's case.  I hesitated at first to believe, knowing Olivia, and her angelic face.  I never thought she can do something like this.  But as part of my job, where no emotions should be attached, I have to do what I am supposed to do.  I called Clifford and Adrian, but Adrian did not answer.  Together with Clifford, we went to the our station to process the warrant of arrest.  Clifford really want us to do the arrest as soon as possible." he explained.

"I can't believe this, how can she?" I begun to cry.

"Sssshhh.  I know Rose, I know.  She's you're friend, and she is a friend of mine as well.  In all honestly, I was there when she was arrested but I felt pity on her." Dave hugged me and rubbed my back to calm me.

Really Dave?  Are you that weak? I told myself.  No Dave is not weak, he just know how to care and love. I was hit by my own thought, I smiled and a real tear of emotion poured down from my cheek.  I am happy, happy to have Dave.

"Dave?"

"Yes?" Dave released me from his arms and it brought me back to my reality.  Dave doesn't love me, he just cared for me because I was his friend. No more, no less. I convinced myself.

"Is she, I mean Via, how long she will be in jail?  Forever?"  Forever Dave, that's what I want to hear from you.

"That for now I'm not sure."

"Is she allowed to bailout?"

"The law says she is allowed to, but Clifford wont let that happen.  Via's lawyer tried to bail her out today but with Clifford's connection, that wont be possible for her." he answered and that was a relief for me.

"That's unfair." I told him.

"I have to agree on you with that, but that is something I don't have any power to-"

"No Dave, you dont have to feel bad for it.  There are really things that we can never control even how hard we want to." I told him as I interupt what he is about to say.

"Thank you Rose.  I hope Via understand it too."

"I hope so."

"Rose?"

"Yes?"

"I want to tell you something, but I want you to promise me not to feel so bad over it."

"What was that?"

"I think it's impossible for Via to get out from the jail."

My eyes got larger as I heard what Dave told.  That's the best thing he said since I converstation started today, uhm well, aside from she told me that I'm pretty because it was all given.  But being impossible for Via to get out from the jail, that was something I want to hear more.

"What exactly do you mean?"

"Aside from the evidences sent to me, Mr. Chieng's statement from the last time we talked and his last text for me before he found dead.  He clearly says that it was really Via who he saw the night before Peter was kidnapped. Records from CCTV from the previous days also caught Via face."

So really huh?  That was too easy.  Mr. Chieng fell from my disguise so as the CCTV's. I was so brilliant in all aspects.

"Are you sure of that? Uhm maybe Mr. Chieng was wrong and so as the CCTV.  She must be someone that resembles Via."

"I know you're a friend.  But what we have is a concrete evidences and facts.  We also think that Peter is still alive."

"How?"

"Via was in love with Peter, she may or may not killed him -yet.  She maybe just keeping Peter, begging him to love her or killed him after he's refusal." Dave now is certainly thinking.

"I hope is -dead" the last word was kept unsaid.

"Let's just hope he is.  If, only if Via told us the exact location of Peter, dead or alive, that only can answer our question."

"Did she already told you Peter's location?"

"No.  Not even a single detail.  She continue denying her involvement with Peter's case.  If she continue doing that, she'll be rotten in jail for years and that's for sure.  Clifford will do everything it takes to make that sure."

Somehow that statement made me smile.

"What's with that smile Rose?" Dave noticed.

"Ah, nothing.  I'm just glad you're here."

That answer satisfied him, his smile proves that.