Chapter 66

Everyday that I had been in hospital for, Jax made an effort to come in with a bundle of flowers. He made the effort to greet me with a loving kiss and sit by my side, just wanting to talk to me. Wanting to touch my stomach and talk to our unborn baby. He barely left my side and instead of attaching himself by the hip and irritating me, he spent the whole time treating me like a queen. He had been so sweet, so loving. So much more than I had ever seen him be. I didn't want to be angry with him, but I couldn't not be. I hadn't of forgiven him about what he said to me regarding Cheek. It was going to take time for me to get over that.

"You need your rest Ethel." Gemma claimed as I sat inside my own house. I was back to cleaning up.

"I'm fine." I shrug, picking up the mop bucket and taking it into the sink in the laundry.

"Sweety you don't understand. You have only gotten out of hospital, you need to take some time to relax." Gemma followed me, standing in the doorway as I turning on the hot water, waiting for it to heat up.

"I can't just sit around Gemma." I look over my shoulder at her. "I need to keep moving, when I do, it doesn't give me a chance to think. I can't do that right now. Because my mind just goes straight back to Cheek, to Tara, to the fight. I can't deal with thinking about that right now." I place the mop bucket into the sink, watching it slowly fill.

Gemma didn't reply, she just sighed. I could see that she didn't know what to say. So she just changed the subject. "How has Jax been treating you?"

"Alright. This is probably the sweetest he has ever treated me." I turned the tap off and picked up the three quarters full bucket. "I guess he feels guilty."

"I'm pleased he is. About fucking time." Gemma moved out of the way as I carried the mop into the lounge room. I had already picked up the rubbish and vacuumed, I even removed the broken furniture so that it was in the driveway. So all I really needed to do was mop. But that was only the lounge room, I still had the rest of the house to go.

"Your telling me." I picked up the mop handle and dunked the mop into the water.

"You wanna put some chemicals in there first?" Suggested Gemma with a smile. Fuck. I forgot all about chemicals.

"Yeah, that would be nice." I giggle in embarrassment. "As you can tell, I absolutely forgot."

"I see." Gemma left me for a moment, that was until she returned with a bottle of home brand bleach. Pouring some in for me, I gave her an appreciative smile and mixed it around with the mop head. When I thought it was well combined, I squeezed out the mop head and began to mop the floor.

Hearing Gemma's phone ring, I looked over my shoulder to see her dart over to the coffee table, digging around in her hand bag for her phone. Once she had it in her hands, she answered.

"What?" Was her greeting to the other person on the phone. Sometimes I loved how abrupt she was. "Yeah, she's right here, why?" Gemma's eyes focussed on me.

With a slight frown, Gemma hung up the phone and sighed. "It was Jax."

"What did he want?" I asked, continuing on doing the mopping.

"He said your not answering your phone." She cocked an eyebrow at me.

"I left it at home." I mumbled.

"What's the point of having a cell if you ain't gonna carry it?" She gave me a stern look, which I just shrugged off.

"It wasn't my choice to have one. Jax just gave it to me. Sometimes I carry it, other times I don't. Today just happens to be one of those 'other times'." I answered, walking back over to the bucket to dip the mop back in and rince.