Chapter 39

Before we managed to get to the Mayans clubhouse, Ethel appeared running onto the middle of the road. Almost getting hit by a car. She was alright! That was enough to make me smile. But it was short lived due to a black BMW snatching her up and speeding off away from us.

Gritting my teeth, I refused to let them get away this time. There was no way I would let Cheek slip away with her again, over my dead body.

Speeding down the highway behind the BMW, we all kept up as best as we could, especially without running up the back of other cars or creating a collision of some kind. Hearing gun shots from behind me, I looked in my mirror to see Tig and Opie firing at the BMW, merely missing me in the process.

Swerving around cars, and rising pass them. I continued following the speeding BMW as it went to swerve around some kind of Ford. As it did, the BMW was speeding head on with a truck. My stomach filled up of knots, someone was going to get killed at this rate. And at the moment, the BMW was going to collide with the oncoming truck. But just in time, it swerved off of the road and missed it by centimetres.

Fucking hell. Cheek was fucking crazy.

Speeding from the gravel and back onto the road, it continued to swerve in and out of the lane. No other car or bike was in front of them, not even any oncoming traffic. That meant a fight had broke out in the car. I just hoped Ethel was okay. But unexpectedly, considering how much Cheek had tried to get away and keep Ethel out of my grasp, she was thrown from the passengers side door. My heart stopped, my stomach dropped and what I witnessed next seemed to go in slow motion.

Ethel flew out of the car and hit the road behind the BMW. She continued to tumbled over and over again. That was until she stopped rolling and was laid out on her back on the edge of the road.

"Oh shit!" I yelled, hitting the clutch and both breaks, screeching along the road as Tig and a few others roared pass me.

Coming to a stop, I threw my bike down and tripped as I sprinted towards a bruised, bloody and deadly-still Ethel. Dropping to my knees as the tears filled my eyes, I stared down at her in despair. She was looking back up at me, almost lifeless. Slowly her eyes began to flutter shut, making me completely break down.

"Baby?" I sobbed, stroking her cheek with my fingers. "Call an ambulance!" I screamed, looking over my shoulder at Opie who rushed to Ethel's side.

"Jax, don't move her. She might have a broken neck." Opie demanded as Juice dropped down beside us all. His cell to his ear and he was already talking.

"No, she's unconscious." Juice spoke as Opie reached out and placed two fingers against Ethel's neck, looking for a pulse.

"She has a pulse, Jax she still has a pulse." Opie turned to me, as if he was trying to bring up my mood.

"Her name is Ethel Smith, I don't know her age." Juice murmured. "Please just hurry up and get here!" Juice huffed, hanging up.

"Ambulance is on the way." Juice enlightened, giving me a blank expression.

I was in shock, I didn't know what to do or what to say. Everything seemed to be going so slow, my hearing seemed to disappear and I couldn't help but stare down at Ethel. I felt powerless.

"Fuck." Juice hissed, which managed to take me a moment to react. With furrowed eyebrows, I stared down at where Opie and Juice were staring at. On the side of Ethel's body was a decent sized shard of glass poking out. Blood was pouring out of her like a tap.

Juice ripped the sleeve of his shirt while Opie took the moment to gently pull the shard out of of her.

"Fucking hell, that's in deep." Opie commented.