Chapter 36

Jax's POV:

Slowly awakening up from my deep slumber, I fluttered my eyes open with a groan. The light seeping into the room hurt my eyes. Keeping my eyes shut, I turned over and stretched my arm out, in search of Ethel, but the bed was empty and cold.

Shit when I think about it, I didn't even remember going to bed. What happened and how did I get here? Did Ethel take me to bed? Where was she anyway? Already up, I assumed.

"Jax, you up?" A very deep voice rung in my ears. It sure reminded me of the hangover that was already coming to haunt me for last nights alcohol abuse.

"Yeah, I am now." I groaned, slowly sitting up and taking a moment to open my eyes. It took several goes to open and close my eyes to adjust to the sunlight flooding into the room by the window.

"How you feeling?" The voice rung in my ears yet again.

Turning my head to face the doorway, I spotted a tired looking Opie standing in the doorway.

"Like shit." I chuckled, regretting it as pain pulsed through my head yet again.

"I bet you do." Opie simply replies, still standing in the doorway. He had his arms crossed over his chest and a very stern expression across his face.

"What are you doing here, Ope?" I kicked the blankets off and turned on the bed. Sitting on the edge, I rested my feet firmly against the carpet.

"Making sure you wake up." Opie hesitantly answered.

"And why wouldn't I?" I frowned. "Look, I don't need a fucking babysitter, I just had too much whiskey. Now, where is Ethel? She didn't mention she had work this morning." I stare up at Opie.

"Is he awake?" Another voice sounded from the corridor. It sure wasn't Ethel's voice, it sounded like Gemma.

"Yeah." Opie nodded.

"You told him yet?" Gemma than asked before appearing beside Opie.

"Nah." Opie shook his head.

"Told me what?" I narrowed my eyes at both Gemma and Opie.

Opie's expression was hard to read, but Gemma's, I knew for a fact something was up.

Gemma took a deep breath before she pushed pass Opie and walked into the bedroom. Taking a seat by me on the bed, she gave me a very sad look. "You see Jax, while you were passed our last night, something happened." Gemma placed her hand onto my shoulder.

"What happened mom?" I directed my eyes to her.

Gemma looked away from me for a moment, she bit down on her bottom lip and finally looked back at me. Her eyes now looked slightly teary, that look sure gave me an unsteady gut feeling.

"What happened?" I asked again. My heart was beginning to race, my stomach was uneasy and I was suddenly feeling faint. Ethel wasn't here when I woke up, did something happen to her? Fuck no.

"Sweety, Ethel-" Gemma paused as a tear escaped her eye. Using her thumb to wipe away he slow rolling tears, she looked up to Opie as for support.

"Jax," Opie sighed, taking several steps into the bedroom. "Juice and Ethel came back last night. We don't know exactly how it played out, but Juice copped something to the head. We found him bleeding out on the driveway while his bike idled. And well Ethel, she's gone. We found the house key and her blade on the driveway, but no sign of Ethel anywhere."

If it was even possible, I felt my whole world crumble around me. My heart sank and I couldn't help but feel the pain and guilt begin to eat me from the inside out. Ethel was gone. She had been taken right outside my own house, I didn't know or hear anything and I was in the fucking entertainment room, right by the front door.