Spotlight - Redemption

(Oh, come on. I couldn't let her go out like that)

"I find this all mildly hilarious" I laugh.

Not the dying part because I definitely did not see that coming but this support group.

"You think death is funny?" Gabriel asks.

"Not at all, I just think it's funny that there's a support group in Heaven. Oh my God, we can call it Dyers Anonymous." I joke.

"How exactly did you get in here? I read your boyfriend's book before I died, you were such a bitch." One of my new dead friends says.

"I don't know, I'm still working out the kinks on that one. I'll get back to you" I say taking a piece of candy from the table. I begin walking out of the area only to get called back.

"Group isn't over" Gabriel calls out to me.

"Well, it is for me" I go sit under a tree, I like this tree it's calming and relaxing. I had something like this, a happy place. But I fucked it up, I took it for granted and I fucked it up.

Gabriel sits next to me causing me to roll my eyes. "I didn't know Angels could be stalkers too"

He laughs. "I'm not stalking you, I'm looking after you. It's sort of in the job description."

"Right. Guardian Angel." I pick some grass out of the ground. "Why am I here Gabe? I don't deserve to be here"

"God doesn't make mistakes. He knows what's in your heart no matter how hard you try to mask it. What you went through was unfair. Your lifestyle choices were unnecessary but understood." he puts a hand on my shoulder. "A lot of people still don't get you. But he did." 

"You should read this," he hands me a book. Keith's book. I shake my head.

"No," I can't. I can't read his hate, his regret. I ruined his life.

"Just read the first page and after that, if you still don't want to read it you can trash it," he promises. 

I stare at the cover, at his beautiful face. I miss him, I know it's selfish but I do miss him. I flip to the first page and begin reading. 

She was many things to many people. She was my lover, to her friends she was the life of the party, to her fans she was an inspiration. There was something dark inside of her...

I never got to find out what that was

I thought I could help her.

For a while, I wished I never met her,

 But I believe everything happens for a reason and maybe in some fucked up way I was the key piece in finally letting her escape what haunted her every day.   

It took me a few days but I came back to this tree every single day and read his book. I wish I could apologize, I wish I could explain to him that there was nothing he could do. I wish I could help him understand. As I read the final words of the book I clutched it to my chest and began crying. The next thing I know I'm sitting in some child's room.

"Hi," the girl says to me playing with her toys. She looks about three or four maybe shit I don't know. 

"Um- hi." I look around the room. "Where am I?"

"My room silly" she giggles.

"Right, what's your name?"

"Nayeli Y/n Powers" she states proudly. "My daddy says I'm named after a special lady."