16: Raspberry Milkshake

[A/N] Song for the chapter is Chandelier by Sia because THIS SONG IS AMAZING AND I LOVE IT.  Anyways, here's the much awaited update:

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Aaron pulls away way sooner than I would've liked him to.

"Alright, next!" Zander yells before I even have time to process what the heck just happened.

Aaron clears his throat awkwardly and gets up off the ground. "It's pretty late, I'm going to head out."

"Yeah, me too," I blurt out. I glance up at Aaron, and luckily, he seems pretty pleased with my choice to leave, too. At least, that's what I gathered from the reassuring smile painted on his lips.

Zander suspiciously looks between the two of us before dismissing us with a wave and a cocky smile. I respond to their kindness by returning a modest wave in the group's general direction.

I follow Aaron up the small flight of stairs, entering at the same hallway that leads to living room as before. The stereo is blasting Nirvana, and the crowd is so massive that I end up almost losing sight of him at one point. Once I spot Aaron again, I push through mass of people and reach to wrap my hand around his forearm. He doesn't seem bothered by the action at all, and instead, pushes my hand further down so our fingers are intertwined. 

My heartbeat fastens at the gesture.

The cool, autumn air engulfs me the second I walk onto the porch. Goosebumps appear on my skin when a breeze rustles my hair. We walk down the street, hand-in-hand, as a gust of wind hits me. It sends a wave of shivers rippling throughout my body as my hair flings in my face. September is unusually cool this year.

We continue to walk down the block and down the next one, too. Right in front of a stop sign, I spot Aaron's Audi parked against the curb. He shoves his hand into his pocket and fishes out his keys, pressing the unlock button. The headlights glow in response, and I round his car to hop into the passenger seat.

"You okay with going out to eat? I'm in the mood for a milkshake," he says, shoving the key into the ignition and starting the vehicle up.

I fasten my seat belt. "Yeah, let's do that," I agree. One single thought is running on a continuous track inside my brain as he drives us to our destination.

I kissed Aaron.

I kissed Aaron.

I kissed Aaron.

I don't even know where to go from here because I know that kiss was way more than a little peck for show. So then what was that?

I watch the rich-looking suburban scenery morph into woods and don't even bother to process what I'm looking at. Instead, my fingers trail along my bottom lip as I think about what just happened.

I have to admit, he is a really good kisser.

"Hey, we're here, Squirt," Aaron says, breaking up my thoughts.

I laugh, quickly taking in the town that suddenly appears around me. "Squirt? I thought my nickname was Iron Fist."

He crookedly smiles, giggling a bit. "I don't know, I had to get your attention somehow. It looks like you're falling asleep with your eyes open over there."

I shake my head at him, playfully rolling my eyes. He is really clueless. Geez, the kid just kissed me for crying out loud, and he thinks I'm falling asleep? More like the complete opposite.

I unlock the door and step onto the blacktop. I slam the door shut, falling in-step with Aaron as we make our way to the front doors of Route 60 Diner.