44: Homeroom

[A/N] there is no song for this chapter because iTunes Radio got rid of my favorite radio station (top 50 pop).

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"You're so lucky Mrs. McKenna is your homeroom teacher," Charlie complains as I grab my chemistry textbook out of my locker. Most the time, we don't hang out before school starts, but Aaron is running late today, and Shay's absent. She told me she caught the flu from her younger brother.

"Why in the world would I be lucky? She so annoying."

"She's hot," Charlie corrects.

I roll my eyes as I reply with a sarcastic answer. "Yeah, sure."

"Hey, I'm here," Aaron yells down the hall. I turn around to see him jogging towards us, shoes untied and sweatshirt flapping.

"Hey, dude," Charlie greets as he approaches us. They do the man-handshake thing and clap each other on the shoulder. After their hug dismantles itself, Aaron plants a quick kiss on my cheek and wraps his arms around my shoulders. He's so tall that he can comfortably rest his chin on the top of my head.

"That's so cute!" Casey Fallen, the yearbook editor and class president, says. "This one's going in the yearbook!"

Before I can even object, she takes a picture of us with the Canon camera hanging around her neck. Just as quickly as she came, she disappears into the thin crowd of students rushing to class.

"Oh, crap, I forgot to hand in yearbook money," Charlie says, hitting himself on the forehead with his bare hand. "Casey, come back!" he yells, running after the redhead.

The warning bell rings, and Aaron and I head to homeroom. We arrive just as the late bell rings. "Welcome back, everyone!" Mrs. McKenna cheerfully exclaims as a bunch of us walk in to the classroom. I debate pulling Aaron's drumsticks out of his back pocket and throwing them at her head to make her shut up, but I force myself not to. It wouldn't be a wise decision to start the new year off with a detention.

"Why are you eyeing my bum?" Aaron whisper-asks me as we find out seats.

"You should be flattered," I reply with a slick smile. I lightly smack his butt before I sit down.

Aaron laughs to himself as he pull out his drumsticks before he sits. "I bet you just wanted to throw these at someone. Probably Mrs. McKenna?"

"You know me too well."

For the rest of class, we joke around and talk about unimportant things. Soon enough, we are in AP Chem, completing another lab. I'm paired with Charlie, and I told him specifically not to touch anything. "But why," he complains as we strap on our safety goggles.

"Because you'll blow this place up," I reply, shoving our lab paper in his hands. "You're in charge of filling out the data tables."

"Class, keep in mind you only have this period to work on it. It's an easy lab, therefore an easy A," Mr. Thompson shouts behind me, causing me to jump and almost drop the beaker in my hand. "Watch that hand, Miss Russe. You break it, you buy it."

"Thanks for the reassurance," I sarcastically reply.

"Anytime. Now, chop chop!" The teacher turns on the gas and lights our Bunsen burner. Once everyone starts working, Mr. Thompson heads behind his desk and pulls out an adult romance novel to read.

"I will never understand that man," Charlie openly admits, staring at him.

"Do you smell something burning?" I ask, sniffing the air. When I look to my right, I see the lab paper that Charlie is holding is on fire. "Oh my God, throw it in the sink, Charlie!"

Charlie screams as the fire licks close to his fingers, and he lets the paper drop into the sink. I quickly turn on the faucet and let the water wash away the flames. "What in the world is happening over there?" Luke asks from the other lab table. He seems genuinely curious.

"Nothing," I smile, sending Charlie a look. His face turns beet red.

"Do you need another lab paper?" Mr. Thompson calls from behind his desk.

"Yes," I peep, smiling as I walk over to him and grab it.

He looks at me with a raised eyebrow. "Be careful, Miss Russe, and while you are at it, please remember that our lab partner is a hazard to us all."

I nod, walking back to our table. I slap Charlie on the back of the head. "Let's get to work, and stay away from the Bunsen burner."

* * * * *

When I walk into Math class, I expect to see Shay waiting for me at our little group of desks. Then, I remember she's not here, and my heart sinks to the put of my stomach. On top of that, it doesn't help that Luke is watching me as I stand in front of the door.

"Callie, why don't you take a seat," Mr. Daniels suggests, looking at me awkwardly.

I don't say anything as I head to my desk, sitting right across from Luke. His eyes follow my actions innocently, which makes me uneasy. I still find it weird that he doesn't target me anymore.

"You know," Luke quietly says, clearing his throat, "you were right. I didn't cheat on Shay. Karissa set me up, I swear."

I nod. "I know, I believe you. I was the one who convinced Shay of that."

"Oh, thank you, then."

"You're welcome."

That was all we said to each other during third period. No fighting, no yelling, not even a glance in each other's direction.

When the bell rings, I collect my books into a pile before hearing Luke say my name. I look up, waiting for him to speak. "We need to get back at Zander and his band. It has to be epic this time."

"I agree."

"And whatever we do, it has to end this stupid little war."

"I second that."

Luke smiles at me, and I swear it was the first time he's ever been genuinely nice to me. "Good."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

[A/N] Thank you for reading, hope you liked this update :)