60: Getting back to normal

[A/N] Yes, I did just create another new story. Yes, I will be writing them all at the same time. Yes, you can read them because you love me.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

A week or so after the Battle of the Bands competition, the boys seemed to be back to normal. Al has been writing new music, and Luke has been helping compose some of the music. Sadly, the cheerleaders ditched Charlie for Zander, and Charlie only seems 80% heartbroken by that.

But, more importantly, Aaron and I are currently on very good terms.

"Hi, Callie," Aaron greets, yelling over the roar of conversation in the cafeteria on Tuesday morning. I can't help but turn a bit pink when our eyes lock.

"Hi."

His eyes squint, as if he's trying really hard to read right through me. "You're never this quiet, what's wrong?"

"Oh, nothing," I honestly reply. "I'm perfectly okay. Happy, even."

He reaches across the table to grab my hands. 

"Alright, alright," he giggles, "New topic."

"I have a question."

He raises his eyebrow. "Yeah?"

"Does Zander ever bother you anymore?"

He shakes his head. "Haven't even see him in a week, let alone been affected by his antics. Why?"

"Oh, just wondering."

"You know you have nothing to worry about. The guys and I agreed to give him the last laugh. It's the mature thing to do in this situation."

I nod, still pondering. It just doesn't seem fair that Zander can steal their music and be treated like a champion. But what can we even do about it?

* * * * *

After school, Shay and I walk home together for what feels like the first time in forever. Between the Battle of the Bands and simply being in a relationship, we haven't got to spend all that much time with each other.

"So, what's new, Callie?" she asks, tying her long, brown hair into a messy bun.

"Nothing much."

"Liar!" she yells in the empty street, laughing. She eyes me for a bit, turning away with a large smile on her face. 

"Okay, everyone's been saying that I seem off. And, in all honestly, I'm just upset that Zander got the last laugh. How is that even fair, you know? He's a theft and gets treated like a winner."

Shay nods. "We're all thinking the same thing, but the problem becomes, what do we do about it? There's no amount of pranks or tricks we could create that could ever compare to stealing intellectual property."

I shake my head at her as we enter her house, climbing up the stairs to go to her bedroom. I take a quick peak into Hutch's room, sporting him sprawled out on his bed, doing homework. His eyes meet mine when I step on a creaky floorboard, and I smile lightly. He does the same, pulling his baseball cap further down on his head and going back to going his homework.

"I saw that," Shay says, loud enough for Hutch to hear from a mile away.

"Dude, what are you even talking about?" I slam her door closed. "All I did was look at him."

"I'm just teasing, Callie. Sometimes, it's just fun to get you mad."

That's not the first time someone has told me that. My temper is used against me more often than not. It's a personality flaw, 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

[A/N] This is a weak update, but keep reading for it to get better.