6: Pencils Aren't Drumsticks

[A/N] You have to admit that the gif is pretty cool.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

It's Friday... and I'm in homeroom, doing absolutely nothing.

The book I was going to read for the remainder of class lays untouched on my desk because the idiot in front of me won't stop using his pencils as drumsticks.

It's distracting, and I can't stand it.

And it's not like the class is dead silent either; people are having quiet conversations around me. But the stupid tapping noises are getting on my nerves. It's like my ears are attuned to it, similar to the horrid sound of the nails on chalkboard sound... except less shrilly and way more irking.

I want to tell Aaron to cut it the freak off, but I've been giving him the silent treatment. Now's not the time to ruin my winning streak, either. And, right now, I feel like it's best to disassociate myself from him to keep the Luke drama to a minimum.

But the tapping is getting really annoying, and I'm about to rip my hair out. Pencils aren't drumsticks, stupid.

I poke Aaron's back with my pen. "Can you please stop the tapping?"

The mini drumming session immediately halts, and I breath out a sigh of relief. I can finally concentrate on reading the novel in front of me.

I smile to myself, opening up Hush, Hush, and start to read the first sentence.

"What time's your game tonight? I don't think you ever told me," Aaron asks as he grabs the book out of my hand and closes it.

I glare at him; nobody messes with Callie and her reading time.

"8 or so," I lie, grabbing the book back. I ignore the shot of electricity I feel my fingers graze his and continue reading. I can feel his gaze lingering on me as I read the first couple of sentences of the book. In all honestly, I didn't process a single word I read.

"Callie, you're a horrible liar. If you don't want me to go, just say so."

I look up, surprised and confused that he knows my name. I don't ever remember telling him that...

"I don't want you to come," I state, looking his straight in the eye.

"Well, I'm coming anyway," he openly admits.

I groan, rolling my eyes. "What is it going to take to get you to stop bothering me?" I ask, mostly to myself.

"I'm not bothering you," he defends softly. "I'm just trying to show you that there are genuine, good people in this world who simply want to get to know those around them."

"For once, Aaron, take a hint and just stop," I snap.

I didn't mean for that to come out as harshly as it probably sounded, but his face drops in response. I feel really bad for wiping the playful smile off his face, but at the same time, I just want him to back off a bit. I wish everyone could just see it as I do: I hate Luke, Luke hangs out with Aaron, therefore I hate Aaron.

"The teasing I can handle, Callie, but the downright hatred is too much for me. What in the world is going on in that head of yours?" he asks.

Well, maybe that linear logic isn't so straightforward. 

I sigh, the words getting a little caught in my throat. "It's hate by association, okay?"

He cocks his head a bit, clearly confused by what I said. After a moment, an imaginary light bulb flicks on above his head. "It's Luke, isn't it?" he realizes.

The bell rings, and all the people around me rise from their seats and pack up their things. I shove my book into my backpack and sling it on my shoulder. "Ding, ding, ding; we have a winner."

"But that doesn't make any sense. He said that you—"

"Save it," I announce, holding my hand up for him to pause, which he does. "Luke lies, okay? And if I were you, I would stay away from him."

I look hard into his hazel, blue-green eyes, attempting to help him understand and fully believe the truth one last time before turning to walk away. 

"If only it was that easy," he mutters under his breath.

I pretend like I didn't hear what he just said. I disregard the comment and walk out of the classroom, ignoring to return the goodbye Mrs. McKenna excitedly shouts in my face as I pass her.

* * * * *

"Serve!" I shout as I whip my right arm back and hit the volleyball over the net.

The other team fails to send the ball back over the net (again), and the game ends at a 25-15 win for East Valley. Our whole team runs on the court, high-fiving each other before shaking hands with the opposing team. In the name of good sportsmanship, we tell them "good game" even though their serve-receive was a mess.

"That was an awesome serve, nice job, Callie," Shay excitedly whispers to me as our team huddles around our coach for some post-game comments. The crowd begins to filter out the gym doors, and some parents hang around to wait for their student athletes to finish up.

"Thanks," I whisper back, keeping my eyes trained on our coach. The guy is only 26, and as long as it looks like I'm paying attention, I know he won't notice that I'm talking during his lecture.

Shay and I both continue to whisper about the game as Coach Green complements our teamwork and tells us to keep up the winning streak up. "Remember to take down the nets before you guys leave!" he shouts as grabs his sling back and heads out the gym doors. He waves to us over his shoulder and disappears outside.

Our team of twenty girls tear down the nets, and we finish clearing up the volleyball equipment within five minutes.

"Well, time to go home and finish my homework," I let out, wiping the sweat off my forehead and collecting my things from the bleachers.

"You're going to leave without even saying hi to me?"

I groan, knowing very well that Aaron is standing directly behind me. And, truth be told, I really don't want to be bothered by him right now. I'm hot, sweaty, tired, and simply don't have time for his antics.

"Yes, of course," I turn around, smirking at him. 

He laughs as if I was joking, but I'm not. "Haha, very funny. In all seriousness, though, you got game, Iron Fist," he complements, ignoring my comment. "Congrats on the win."

"Thanks," I curtly reply, scanning the nearly empty gym for Shay. If I had to guess, she probably saw me talking to him and didn't want to interrupt... and proceeded to leave me behind.

I sigh and head towards the gym doors, hoping to ditch Aaron. Instead, he follows closely on my heels. "Do you need a ride?" he asks as I open the door and head outside. The cool, summer breeze catches me by surprise, leaving goosebumps on my skin.

I look around once more for her and realize that she actually did ditch me. My shoulders sag in disappointment; I guess that's what best friends are for, huh?

"So, do you?" he repeats, waving a hand in front of my eyes. I guess I was so lost in thought that I didn't even realize I was staring at him.

"You know what, I have to go, so bye," I quickly spit out and run in the opposite direction, leaving a very confused Aaron standing in the middle of the sidewalk.

What the heck is going on with me?! I'm naturally cocky around every single person I meet, but this stupid southern boy makes me turn into a puddle of jumbled words. What in the world is happening to me?

I wipe the sweat from my forehead. I know exactly what's happening to me: Luke's using Aaron to bother me nonstop. But even I know that that argument sounds insane. I know that everyone is not out to get me, but for some reason, it just seems easier to think of it in this way .