32: Music to my Ears

[A/N] Song for this chapter is Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran bc THAt SONG IS BOSS!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Let's just say Al wasn't too happy when he found out what happened to his guitar a few days ago. I think it's best just to leave it at that.

"Callie, hello, were you even listen to a word I was saying?" Shay asks, shooting me an annoyed look.

"What? Uh, sorry," I apologize, watching the dirty-blonde across the table paint my nails. I was forced to have a girl's night out while Aaron and the guys shop for new equipment. I wanted to go with them, but Luke talked his new girlfriend into taking me out to get my nails done.

God, Luke really knows how to torture me. I mean, hanging out with my best friend is fun, but I'm not into Luke suggesting it. Something about that doesn't sit right with me.

"Anyway," Shay continues. "I'm glad you told me to ask Luke out. Without you, it probably would have never happened." She smiles warmly at me, taking her fingers off the table now that her nails are a soft pink. I do the same, eyeing my nails. Midnight blue looks black, which was a good choice on my part.

We both get up and head to pay at the register. I pull out my wallet out of my bag and wait for the woman to tell me the total. "So how's it going with Aaron?" Shay asks, counting out bills after the worker tells her what's owed.

"Good, really good. I'm happy." I smile subconsciously thinking about the make-out session we had earlier today in the janitor's closet during homeroom.

She raises an eyebrow at me as she watches me hand the bills over to the cashier. "Are you going to tell me why you're smiling like that?"

"No, I won't," I smirk, heading out the doors and into the mall. People of all ages, though mostly teenagers, wander around window shopping with food in their hands. "Do you think the guys are still in the music store?"

I continue to walk with the crowd with Shay by my side. She gives me a look, changing the subject. "You would tell me if you, well, physically got closer with Aaron, right?"

"Oh my gosh, is that what you think I'm smiling about?" I ask, horrified.

"It's natural to conclude that," she defends.

I roll my eyes. "We just made out at school, geez, Mom."

She eyes me skeptically. "Alright, I guess."

I get up from the bench, still mad that my best friend thinks I'm hiding things from her. "Shay, I told you I'd keep you in the loop on things, remember?"

"Yes, I remember," she replies, also getting up. "Now let's go find the guys."

We walk through the crowd, heading to the west side of the mall. The music shop is right next to The Foot Locker, so we weren't all too far away. We pass colorful shops on the way, and I curiously look at the people shopping.

We arrive at Harper's Music Store, and I spot Al's bleached hair inside. Heading in, I look at all the different varieties of instruments ranging from electric guitars at bagpipes. The boys are talking to a store associate, so I decide to take a seat on one of the piano benches. My mom used to teach me how to play piano before she ran off.

I open the music book lying on the stand and flip to a random page. I lightly set my fingers on the keys and begin to play. My fingers move hesitantly on the keys, and I have to pause a couple time to read the music. I stop after a couple of minutes, deciding that I was probably creating a ruckus in the quiet place.

"That didn't sound all that bad," Charlie comments, his brand new bass strapped around his back.

"You don't have to lie, it probably sounded like a blind person was playing... and I'm not referring to Stevie Wonder."

He laughs as the rest of the guys gather behind him. Luke's arm rests around Shay's shoulder, and in all honesty, I don't think I'll ever get used to that sight. I look away instantly. "Okay," Aaron announces. "Does everyone want to go get something to eat? I'm starving."

Everyone agrees, so we head out. I walk between Al and Aaron as Luke and Shay lead. Charlie trails behind us, texting on his phone. Aaron intertwines his hand with mine as I discuss dinner option with Al, and I flash a smile his way before continuing the conversation.

"Ooh, wait! There's a sale at Victoria's Secret," Shay suddenly exclaims, taking Luke by the hand and dragging him into the woman-infested store. "You're going to help pick out something nice."

I laugh, shaking my head. How in the world could Shay possibly feel comfortable letting a guy shop with her in an undergarment store? I mean, just outside the pink store is a whole bunch of dads, brothers, and boyfriends waiting for their daughters, sisters, or girlfriends to come back out.

"She's an idiot," I laugh, shaking my head. "I'm not waiting for them. Let's just go get a table awhile at TGI Friday."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

[A/N] I'm a bit more hopeful about One Direction's survival. Zayn may be gone, but I support his decision. I just hope Louis, Liam, Harry, and Niall can continue writing, playing, and singing together. They don't want the dream to end just yet, I know it.

Wow that author's note is so old. Their solo music is popping, and I don't think my past self could have even comprehended that they wouldn't be a band for long.