28: Hot Chocolate

[A/N] Song for this chapter is Skyfall by Adele. My high school choir is actually singing this song for our next concert.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I honestly don't know where to go; I just know that I can't go back home. So, I continue to walk down the dimly lit street, pulling my phone out from my pocket and dialing Shay's number. Her house is only a few blocks from here, and she could easily let me sleep over for the night.

The phone rings for a while before cutting itself off. "You have reached the number of..." I groan, ending the call and dialing Aaron's instead. He wouldn't hesitate to help me out.

"Hello?"

"Aaron, hey," I reply, leaning against a stop sign. The metal pole is cold against my back.

"Hey, Callie. What's up? You sound a bit...off."

"Can you pick me up? I'm at the corner of Yellowbrook and Roosevelt."

"Yeah, sure, I'm coming now." I hear a shuffle on the other side of the receiver. "You want me to stay on the phone?"

"No, it's fine," I say, looking behind me as the wind blows my hair in my face. I shiver.

"Okay, I'll be there in ten minutes, bye," he rushes, hanging up as I hear his car rev in the background.

"Bye." I sigh, ending the call and putting my phone back in my jeans pocket.

 I checking my phone periodically to appear like I'm not loitering, and I end up counting the minutes until Aaron comes. A black, shiny Audi pulls up along the crumbling curb ten minutes later, and I hop into the car. "Hey, Callie," he smiles as I buckle up.

"Hey," I reply, trying to mask my disappointment with the world.

I stare out the front windshield as he drives. He clears his throat, scratching the back of his neck, "Are you okay? You sound upset."

"I'm great, wonderful actually," I reply, sarcasm seeping into my voice.

"What's wrong?" he asks, concerned, as we fly through an intersection.

"No, nothing--"

"Callie," he pointedly interrupts, "You called me for a reason. There's literally nothing you need to be afraid of hiding from me. Now, when he get to my place, I'm going to make you hot chocolate, and we will discuss what's wrong like mature adults."

I look at him like he's absolutely nuts, but his hazel eyes are focused on the road in front of him as we head out to the rich part of town. He turns off the road, heading up the short driveway of a beautiful, white house with dark blue trimming and a two port garage. Aaron shuts off the car, and we both head up to the front of the stereotypical suburban house, silence falling upon us.

"Welcome to my home," he says as he kicks off his shoes and hangs his sweatshirt on one of the hooks in the foyer. I do the same, feeling as if a response isn't necessary. I follow him through the living room and into the kitchen, sitting at the expensive-looking island. The place is immaculate and classy, which blows my mind for how grungy Aaron dresses.

Aaron digs out a pot from the cabinet under the counter and fills it with water. "My parents are having dinner downtown tonight, so they won't be back for a while."

"Why did they leave you behind?"

"I had to work on my English paper. It's due at midnight, you know."

I thank him as he hands me a cup of hot chocolate. "I already finished that last week."

"Of course you did, now what's up?" he implores, sipping on the drink.

"Well," I sigh, "Remember how you told me a month or so ago that I was hiding something?"

He nods.

"You were right, as much as I hate to admit it."

I pause, deciding you just let the truth out. Everyone else seems to know it, so why can't Aaron be in on it too?

"My mom abandoned my dad and I ten years ago. She was a teacher at a neighboring high school and, uh, cheatedonmydadwithoneofherstudents," I spit out, my throat throbbing as I try and hold back tears. All this time, I thought the wound would have healed, but it's still so fresh.

It hurts to have people call my own mother a predator, but it's even worse when it's true.

"Shit, I am so sorry," he replies, wide eyed as he walks around the counter to hug me.

The moment his arms envelope me, I completely collapse into a heap of limbs and tears. I thought I was being strong for so long because I haven't cried, but really, I'm weak inside. I'm weak and pathetic enough to keep the pain inside of me rather than letting it out.

"It's okay, it's okay," he murmurs into my ears, rubbing my back comfortingly.

"No it's not, it's not, because she's back," I cry, clinging onto him for my dear life.

"She's back?"

"Yeah, she literally just showed up on our doorstep and acted like nothing was ever even wrong," I whine, sniffling into his shirt. He smells boyish and manly at the same time, and it somehow calms me down. "I'm sorry," I apologize, breaking out of his embrace and rubbing my eyes.

"Don't say that, it's fine. I'm here for you, you know, and I'm glad you told me that," he replies, squeezing my hand.

"It's embarrassing, that's what it is."

He shakes his head. "Everyone has problems. Some just hide them better than others."

I don't say anything else; I just sip on my cup of hot chocolate and look anywhere else but at Aaron. I hope he doesn't look at me like a weak, tragic girl because I'm not.

"Let's talk about something else, this is all too depressing," I let out, downing the rest of my drink.

"Wanna make out?" he suggests, smiling hopefully with sparkling eyes.

I laugh, rolling my eyes. "You're awful, you know."

"Well, I can't help it," he shrugs, rising from his seat to wrap his arms around me from behind. "Now gives me a kiss," he demands playfully.

"Aaron, get off of me," I squeal, tickling him so he'll release me. My plan works out flawlessly, and he someone manages to tumble to the ground in a fit of giggles, which is the perfect time to make my getaway.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

[A/N] Sorry this was updated so late. I'm happy how this turned out, though.