66: Summertime Fun

[A/N] Let's see how this chapter goes!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Can I take this blindfold off yet?" I ask Aaron as he carefully leads me to an unidentifiable location. I know we're outside-- the air is humid and sticky like sap dripping off pine needles-- and the ground feels uneven under my feet.

"Wait, wait." Aaron turns me by the hips so I'm facing a new direction. "Okay, you can take it off now."

I yank off the fabric and gasp when I see a picnic in front of me. A basket and a blanket lay on the flat grass. Noting screams love quite like a quality dinner while watching the sun set on the horizon.

"This is really nice, Aaron," I confess, smiling at him and grabbing both of his hands. "I love you."

"I love you too," he giggles, eyes shining. I crane my neck and plant a couple sweet kisses on his lips. He tastes like the mint gum he always chews on. "You hungry?" he asks after the fifth kiss.

"Yeah, let's eat. What did you make us?" I ask as we sit down on the gray blanket.

"Only the finest..." He digs around in the woven basket and pulls out-- "Sandwiches!"

I laugh, rolling my eyes as I take the ham and cheese one. "You made them?"

"All by myself," Aaron beams proudly.

I take a bite, analyzing the taste. "Best one I ever had."

We have a peaceful dinner full of laughs and delicious foods. After we finish the main course, Aaron pulls out a plastic container full of chocolate covered strawberries. "Just like in the movies," he excitedly chatters, feeding me one and missing my mouth.

"You smeared chocolate on me," I playfully complain, laughing as I wipe it off the corner of my mouth. I take another strawberry and purposely smear it all over his cheek.

"This is war!" he yells, taking the fruit and smashing it into my cheek.

Twenty minutes later, I wipe the last bit of melted chocolate off Aaron's chin. "There,  you're all cleaned up, and now, you smell like chocolate."

"Hmm, I wonder why," he sarcastically remarks.

Aaron and I lie on our stomachs as we watch the sun set in the park. The sky turns orange and pink as night creeps up on us. Eventually, the sun hides behind the hills and trees, allowing the moon to make an appearance. We flip on our backs and gaze at the stars.

"Today has been absolutely amazing," I gush, inching closer to his warm body and resting my head on his shoulder. "Thank you, baby."

He rubs my shoulder in slow motion. "You're welcome, Cal. I'm glad you enjoyed this." I feel him lay a kiss on the side of my head.

We fall into a comfortable silence, and I kid you not, I start to doze off a bit and am awoken when Aaron speaks again. "I don't know how I'm going to handle myself without you around everyday."

I open my eyes, suddenly awake, feeling a tug on my heartstrings. "I'm going to miss you so much, too, Aaron. You can call and text and FaceTime me; it'll be like I never even left."

He sighs. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have brought this up, I'm just ruining a perfectly good night and--"

I roll my eyes, propping myself on my elbow and looking him straight in the eyes. "You're not ruining anything. And you won't in the future, either, because we still have a full month of summer left. I'm not going anywhere just yet."

He nods, pulling me close to him. I'm not sure what's going on in his mind, but I hope he knows that being separated for a couple months isn't the end of the world.

* * * * *

"I can't believe we're actually doing this," Charlie whispers in excitement as Luke, Shay, Al, Aaron, and I lie on the grass next to Al's neighbors' pool. The blue water reflects the midnight moonlight, causing our smiling faces to glow in the darkness.

"What if they catch us doing this?" Shay asks, nervously glancing at the windows of the giant white house.

"They won't," Al replies. "They're heavy sleepers."

"Okay, well, I'm jumping in," Luke states, a smile crawling on his face as he does a cannon ball, splashing everyone. He pops out of the water with a giant grin on his face. "C'mon, guys!"

Al and Charlie jump in next, joining their lead singer in the middle of the pool. I walk closer to the edge of the pool and admire the film of water before diving in. Cold water rushes around me, and I swim to the surface to inhale a huge breathe of air.

"Aaron, you're next," Al teases, splashing him with water.

"I'm coming," Aaron replies with a childish grin. He dives in, and I watch his muscular body travel towards me, admiring the beautiful piece of artwork I call my boyfriend.

Suddenly, I feel hands latch around my ankles dragging me down into the water. I shove him off him and go up for air, coughing.

"Aaron, I didn't even get a chance to get a breathe of air, you idiot," I yell, splashing him. "I could have died."

"I wouldn't have let you die," Aaron replies, giggling.

Soon, a splash war breaks out to get Shay into the water. Once she's fully wet standing at the edge of the pool, Luke gets out of the pool and hugs her from behind before pushing her into the cold water. Shay screams and send him a glare when she resurfaces in the pool. "You're so mean," she says, splashing him.

A sliding door flies open, and a large man dressed in pajamas glares at us. "What are you hooligans doing on my property? Get out before I call the cops."

Everyone scrambled out of the pool and hops over the fence, running away from the crime scene. Charlie slips on the wet grass in Al's yard and falls on his tailbone. I help him up as we all take cover in Al's house.

"I thought you said they were heavy sleepers," Shay yells, slapping him on the back of the head.

"Maybe they weren't sleeping then," he defends, laughing to himself. "That was pretty funny though."

I cross my arms over my stomach, shivering in the air conditioning as I make a puddle on the linoleum. Sure, Al, you could call that pretty funny.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

[A/N] Thank you for reading!

Question for You: Were you immediately hooked when you read the first chapter of my book?