5: Comebacks

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *  

"Are you still mad at me?" Shay asks as I slam my locker door shut.

I pointedly look at her and march off towards the lunch room. She follows hot on my heels, power-walking to keep up. "I don't see what I did wrong," she continues.

I ignore her feeble explanations and turn down a couple of hallways, reaching the cafeteria. I already explained to her at least twenty times that I didn't want to get involved with Aaron because he chooses to associate himself with Luke. 

Shay continues to babble that I'm irrational as we enter the cafeteria. I spot Charlie sitting at a table near the vending machines, picking at a salad.

"I'm going to sit with Charlie," I interject. "I guess I'll see you later."

"Yeah, definitely. See ya," she quickly nods, scurrying away to sit with her other group of friends.

It doesn't surprise me that Shay avoids Charlie like the plague; everyone avoids him, well, except me. They think he's weird or stupid, but I know he's much more artsy than book smart. Sure, maybe his grades aren't the hottest, but he's extremely musically inclined.

"So how's the band thing coming along?" I ask him, approaching the empty table.

He looks up from his food and smiles. "Pretty well, actually. I found a really talented guitarist who's also a great singer, too."

I sit at the chair next to him and pull out my lunch from my backpack. "A two for one deal? That's awesome!"

He nods, smiling down at his salad that he continues to poke at with his plastic fork. "Once I find an awesome drummer, I can sign us up for the battle of the bands competition."

"So who's the guy you already picked?" I ask, taking a bite of my ham and cheese sandwich.

"Al Zegler."

"A senior?"

He nods. "Yup."

The name doesn't really ring a bell. But then again, I don't really associate with many people in my grade. "Hmm, never heard of him."

"Well, he's cool. You'll like him," Charlie comments as he take a sip from his milk carton.

We both don't say anything for a while. I continue to eat my sandwich and munch on potato chips while Charlie finishes his salad and apple slices.

"You're coming to the game tomorrow, right?" I ask

He shrugs. "If you want me to."

"I want you to. I need a personal cheerleader, and I know you got the moves down," I say, laughing.

Charlie shakes his head, chuckling to himself. He downs the rest of his milk. "Alright, but I'm bringing Zegler with me."

* * * * *

I'm the first one out of History class when the last bell of the day rings. I have to run upstairs to my locker, collect my books and stuff for homework, and then head all the way back down to the gym to change in the locker room for volleyball practice... and I only have ten minutes to do so. Naturally, I push everyone out of my way and run down the packed hallways to get to my locker.

After moving through a pack of cheerleaders, who all started hurling insults at me when I pushed through their pack, I finally make it to my locker.

I roll my eyes as I watch Luke Hathaway kissing some random girl right in front of my locker. I watch in shock as he shoves her up against my locker and makes out with her.

I grimace at the sight in front of me, not really sure how to work around them to get my stuff out of my locker. Before Luke's hands can wander anywhere else on the girl, I kick him in the back of the knees, making him fall to the ground.

"What the heck, Callie!" Luke yells from the ground as he clutches the back of his knee.

"Get a room, you two," I say between laughs. I open my locker and pull out my math and science books and shove them in my backpack.

"At least I'm not an arrogant know-it-all like you," the girl sneers at me as she helps Luke get up from the ground.

I cock my head in confusion, "Is that supposed to be an insult?"

The girl's jaw drops, and I smirk at her. I slam my locker door and turn on my heel, pridefully walking away.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

[A/N] Hey, guys! I hope you are all liking Homeroom! I'm currently editing the entire book. So keep reading! Votes and comments motivate me to keep going, so keep that in mind the next time you read my story!

PS: I give dedications to dedicated readers. I love you all -Jamie :)