64: The End of High School

[A/N] Keep reading to see how the story ends :)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Callie Russe."

I carefully walk up the stairs leading to the stage, being carefully not to get the long sleeves of my graduation gown caught on the railing. That happened during graduation practice two days ago, and I was flung backwards and fell flat on my butt. Aaron made fun of me for the rest of the day because of that.

"Callie plans on attending Penn State University, majoring in Biology."

The crowd cheers loudly as I march across the stage and grab my diploma from the principal, shaking his hand as he congratulates me. I walk along the stage, finding my dad in the crowd. We make eye contact, and he gives me a thumbs up. He must have liked my salutatorian speech.

The president of our class reads through other names as I make my way back to my seat. I catch Aaron's eye, and he winks at me. I blush as I settle in my seat, watching the rest of the ceremony unfold.

"Graduates, please stand," the principal says, adjusting his tie. The senior class stands. "Congratulations. You are officially graduates of East Valley High School. You may now throw your caps."

The crowd cheers and shouts, and everyone flings their caps into the air. Mine accidentally goes a little wayward and somehow manages to hit Zander in the head. He turns around and looks right at me, and I brace myself for a nasty comment or glare.

Surprisingly, it doesn't come. He simply turns back around.

"You know," he says to me at the end of the ceremony. Students clear out to meet up with their family and friends. He picks my hat up from the ground and hands it to me. "I didn't rig the vote, and neither did Karissa and my bandmates."

"Then who did?"

"Mr. Pratt."

I stare at him in disbelief. "The English teacher? Why?"

"I don't know why, I just saw him stuffing the box."

"And why are you telling me this now?"

"Because I." He pauses, exhaling. "I'm sorry about all the trouble I caused you. I fucking hate your boyfriend and his crew, but I was a complete dick to you. My behavior was completely unacceptable, and I'm sorry."

My jaw drops. I can't believe he just apologized to me. "Um, well," I splutter. "You're forgiven, I guess."

He nods. "Have a nice life." And with that, he disappears into the crowd.

"What was that all about?" Aaron asks.

"He just admitted that Mr. Pratt rigged the votes."

He gasps. "Really? That man always hate me. He told me quiet frequently that I needed to pick a better career path that banging on drums."

I blink, still processing the new information. "Huh. I didn't know he said that."

"I'm going to find my parents. I'll meet up with you later, okay?" Aaron says.

I smooth out a piece of wavy hair sticking out above his ear. Once the quick fix is completed, Aaron plants a kiss on my forehead. "Okay, I'll meet you in the lobby in 10 minutes," I say.

Aaron nods before allowing the crowd to swallow him up. I spot my dad waving at me, so I speed walk to reach him.

"Hey, honey!" my dad exclaims with open arms. "What a nice speech you wrote there. Glad I was mentioned."

I hug him tightly. "Yeah, of course, dad. I love you."

"I love you, too, kiddo."

I let go off him and hug my Uncle Bill, Aunt Theresa, and my cousins Isabel and Danny. "So proud of you, cuz," Danny laughs, ruffling my air. "You came a long way from stealing my hot wheels."

"That was, like, 10 years ago," I complain.

"I'm good at holding grudges."

"Anyways," Isabel buts in, rolling her eyes. "You did a great job, Callie. I can't wait until you make it up to PSU. I'll show you all the best hangouts and places to eat downtown"

"I accept that offer," I smile, playing with my rolled-up diploma.

"So, where to next?" Aunt Theresa asks, slinging her purse on her shoulder. "I'm starving."

* * * * *

"You guys are so cute together!" Isabella gushes, inspecting Aaron. "Aw, and you have dimples, too. Look how adorable!" She pinches Aaron's red cheeks, and I shoe her off him.

"You're going to scare him off," I reply, holding his hand.

"Yeah, sis," Danny buts in, "leave the poor boy alone.

A waitress leads Aaron's family and my family to a large table at the local dinner. Aaron and I sit next to each other while my dad sits between his brother and Aaron's younger brother. I think my dad likes messing with the little man.

Conversation circles around the table, with laughs projecting over the noise from time to time. I smile, looking around at everyone. This is home.

"So, how does it feel to be a graduate, Callie?" Aaron asks.

I shrug. "I feel the same. How do you feel?"

"I feel like I'm on top of the world, unstoppable, smart, and happy."

I laugh. "That's good."

A waiter takes our order, and I excuse myself to go to the bathroom. As I finish up and wash my hands in the empty restroom, Isabella enters through the creaky door.

"Oh. My. Gosh," she gushes, ripping off a paper towel for me. "Your boyfriend is so cute. What's his name again."

"Aaron," I reply, letting her have her fun.

"He's so sweet, and he smells really good. College boys have nothing on him, let me just tell you, Cal."

"You know," I brag, "he's also the drummer in a band with Charlie. You remember him, right?"

"Isn't that the kid who dropped his ice cream cone on my shoes a couple years ago?" she asks, pushing her blonde hair behind her shoulder.

"Mmm hmm, yes."

She nods, pausing. "So he's a drummer, huh?"

I smirk. "Yes."

"No wonder why his arms are so muscular. My gosh, that's so hot."

"Are you done fangirling over my boyfriend?" I ask, raising my eyebrows.

She sighs, pouting. "For now, yes, but you'll never hear the end of this from me, I swear."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

[A/N] I really love this update. Future chapters will include snippets of the summer before college for Callie and Shay.