55: Cheerleader

[A/N] Just added some new gifs to all the chapters. Check them out :)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The promo was a major step in getting the word out about the band. As I walked the halls all last week, people were pointing at the amazing artwork on the posters and reading the flyers found in their lockers. Whether people liked it or not, everyone now knows 4 Days to Jupiter will be competing in one of the biggest school competitions of the year.

But, of course, some people weren't too happy with our advertisements.

"Posters? Really? Couldn't you have thought of anything more original?" Karissa sneers as I pass her in the hall. I just went to return a book to the library and was heading back to class before getting ever so rudely side-tracked.

I stop, turning around to face her with a small smile on my face. "That insult was about as vicious as a unicorn pooping glittery rainbows. Heck, it wasn't an insult at all! Karissa, darling, put more effort into it next time."

A wicked smile forms onto her colored lips. "Well, I hope your friend knows she's not Luke's only girlfriend."

I roll my eyes. "You really think I'm going to believe you? You set him up with that little trick of yours; too bad it didn't even work though."

She huffs, stomping her heeled boot on the ground in aggravation. "How come you're on Luke's side all of a sudden? I though you hated his guts?"

"You're right," I admit, narrowing my eyes at her. "I was, and now I'm not. We're on the same team now, sunshine, and now, you're the enemy."

The bell rings, and she shoots a final glare at me as students start to fill the halls. "Zander's band is going to win, mark my words."

"Keep telling yourself that!" I yell back in reply, shaking my head. Even if Zander is one of the most popular guys in school, he can't sing or play bass as well as the band can. I'm a firm believer that we will win.

I wait by Shay's locker so we can head to lunch together, and she shows up with a bright grin on her face. She says hi to me as she turns the dial lock. "What happened?"

"What do you mean 'what happened'?" she asks back, throwing books into her locker.

"You seem really happy, almost too happy," I skeptically reply, squinting at her.

"I'm just being me Callie."

"You finally did it with Luke, didn't you?" I say back, raising my eyebrows and crossing my arms.

Her face turns bright red, and she pretends to search for something in her locker. "Do you know where my pen went?"

"Don't change the subject!" I laugh, forcing her to face me. "You totally did it, didn't you?"

"Did what?"

"You know what... It."

She rolls her eyes, slamming the door closed with a loud bang. "It's none of your beeswax, Callie. Stop digging around."

I decided to back off and give her some space. "Alright, fine, I'm just kinda curious how good he is."

"Alright, Miss I-Must-Know-It-All, what about you?"

"I'll be honest, we haven't done it yet?"

Her brown eyes widen. "Really?"

"I mean,  I think he's afraid of going too fast."

"Well, you guys are always all over each other, so I'm sure your day is coming soon."

I nod, thinking. We head to lunch, and Shay decides to sit with her cheerleader friends again. Only this time, they're all surrounding Charlie.

My eyes widen as we approach the lunch table. "What the...?"

"Hey, guys, take a seat!" Charlie exclaims, though there is literally no empty seat in sight.

"What's going on over here?" I ask in the nicest and least offensive way possible.

"I made some new friends who can't wait to hear me play the bass this Friday," Charlie replies, biting happily into his apple. The redhead beside him giggles when a bit of the juice squirts onto her cheek.

"That's... great," I reply, still confused. Charlie wasn't all that popular his whole high school career and now, all of a sudden, he's in the public eye because he's in a band? Dang, that's pretty impressive.

"Okay, well, at least one of you girls needs to make a place for me here. I'm his best friend."

"Just pull up another chair from there," the redhead says, pointing at the single chair at a table surrounded with a bunch of jocks.

I head over to the table, take a chair, and plop down next to Charlie. Shay does the same and wedges herself between two blonde girls.

Conversation was literally all about Charlie. Whether it was his hair, arm muscles, bass skills, or even his humor, it was all about fawning over him. I didn't say much, obviously because I see him as a friend and nothing more.

Eventually, the bell rings and everyone rushes back to class. I walk back with Shay by my side while Charlie is basically being swarmed by cheerleaders as he moves forward. He's really enjoying all the well-deserved attention he's receiving, and I'm glad people are finally realizing what a keeper he truly is. His talent isn't my secret anymore, but it needs to be shared so the band can be successful and win the competition.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

[A/N] That last paragraph was inspiring by my experience finding 5SOS. They were my secret back in June 2014, but now everyone knows who they are. It's best that way though so they can be successful.