13: Jingle Bells

[A/N] The song for this chapter is She Looks So Perfect by 5SOS.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I collapse in my seat, laying my head on the desk. I've been avoiding Aaron for two days now, and I've been trying my best to ignore his pleas. Although I'd love to just scream at him to go away, I know that the silent treatment is the way to go on this one.

Let's just say that I'm extremely grateful that it's Friday.

It's 7:32 AM, and I'm in Homeroom again, staring at the empty whiteboard at the front of the room. I spot Aaron walking into the classroom, and I quickly pull out my earbuds and a book from my backpack. There's no way I can ignore his begs without a distraction.

I pull up Spotify on my phone and play one of my self-curated playlists. A random pop song blast through my earbuds, the guitar and drum rhythms pulsing throughout my entire body. Good music is enough to keep me satisfied as I prepare for another battle with Aaron.

Aaron walks to the head of the room, handing his bright, orange hall pass to the teacher. She smiles warmly at him and takes it, automatically throwing it in the small metal trash can next to her desk. Aaron runs a hand through his wavy hair, ducking his head slightly as he plops down in his seat backwards so he's facing me.

I focus on the words of my book, hoping he'll give it a rest. And for a couple of seconds, he does. Until, of course, he feels the dire need to yank my earbuds out of my ears.

I shoot him the most menacing glare I can muster. "Don't touch me or my stuff," I warn him.

"Look," he sincerely explains, "I just want to--"

"Save it," I interject, gathering my things and marching out of the class. Mrs. McKenna can give me a detention or whatever; it's better than spending a whole period with a pest.

I march down the poster-filled hallways, passing a student or two as I head towards the music wing. I'm not in the mood to hang with Shay today, and I think it's time that I pay Charlie a visit. Aside from a bit of whispering in Chemistry, we really didn't get the chance to catch up.

I turn down a couple more halls and corners, finally reaching Ms. Fritzer's room. Even though she's one of the newer teachers, she can easily be classified as one of the best East Valley teachers. She literally blends right in; she looks so young that she could easily pass as a high school senior.

I quietly open the wooden door and walk in, getting acknowledged by most of the students singing on the risers. She turns to see me and smiles while conducting the choir from behind the piano, nodding her head at the closest practice room where Charlie's practicing. I smile in confirmation and hurry to the room, opening and closing the door quickly to keep the loud shrieks of his bass from escaping the sound-proof room.

"Charlie, turn that thing down!" I shout, covering my ears. I take a seat on the piano bench next to the keyboard.

He immediately stops strumming the chords and smiles. "Can't reach my level, Russe?"

"I don't want to be on your level!"

He laughs, cracking his fingers while taking a seat in the black swivel chair across from me. "I've been waiting for Al, but he never showed. I wanted to practice with him, but looks like you'll have to take his place for today."

"So I'm in the band?!" I squealed with fake enthusiasm. 

Charlie rolls his eyes and throws his lead pencil at me. "No, you're just a substitute," he replies, handing a page of sheet music written in crude, smudged lead. "Now, just read the notes and sing the words. Got it?"

I roll my eyes at him. He knows I can read and sing music; he's just trying to tease me... and he failed, just like he always does.

Charlie begins to strum a couple of chords, and I begin to sing the two lines of lyrics. "You think you're such a hot-shot, such a cool kid, but just remember that's this is high school."

Charlie kicks his wheely chair away, bobbing his head and jumping. I laugh, trying to sing another line without messing up. "Take a look around and see, that you're the king of a tiny town. Enjoy it while you can, it's not going to last that long."

He keeps strumming the beat while I improvise things to sing, "But Charlie sucks, yeah he sucks, and now he's acting like a rockstar who's a bit nuts."

"What the heck, Callie!" he complains, abruptly ending his guitar solo.

I laugh and hand him back the sheet of music. He snatches it from my fingers and folds it up, stuffing it into his back pocket. 

I groan. "Charlie, you're killing my vibe. Why do you have to be such a party pooper?"

"I'm not a party pooper. In fact, I'm taking you to one tonight," he smugly replies.

"Taking me to what now?"

"A party, specifically Al's party, remember? You're still up for it, right Cal?" he presses. "It will be tons of fun."

"Yes, I still am still in, stupid," I retort.

"Okay, good. I'll pick you up at 9:00." He sits back down on his wheely chair and props his feet on the other half of the piano bench.

We both mess around on his guitar for the rest of the period and head off to Chemistry together. Luckily when I get there, Aaron and Luke aren't in the room. I let out a breath of relief that I didn't even realize I was holding in. I take a seat in the back of the room and read over the lab procedure that Mr. Thompson handed out.

"You guys can start right now, just don't blow anything up. I'm talking to you, Charlie. I saw your pop quiz grade, and it wasn't pretty," he comments.

I chuckle as Charlie turns a deep shade of red. Mr. Thompson pays no mind to him and starts whistling  to "Jingle Bells."

Wow, when you think life can't get any weirder, it does.

Charlie cocks his head, furrowing his eyebrows. "Was he just whistling to-?"

"Yes, now can we get started? We're going to run out of time if we don't start now."

He nods, following me to the back of the room to get safety goggles. We put them on and get started right as Luke and Aaron waltz in. I force myself to keep my eyes on the experiment and to mind my own business. Of course, it's easier said than done.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

[A/N] I liked this update a lot, but the next one is going to be at Al's party YES!! It's going to be so much fun to write :)

Vote please? -Jamie