65: Performance Time

[A/N] Song for this chapter is Outer Space/ Carry On by 5SOS. Those two are some of my favorites on the new album.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Shay and I arrive at the Great Eagle Tavern with smiles and high spirits. It's summer now, July 20 to be exact, and Aaron and the crew have been performing here since the end of the school year. 

"Your dress is so cute," Shay points out, playing with my sundress. It has bright flowers all over the black cloth that glow in the dim lighting.

"Thanks, Charlie picked it out for me," I reply, taking a seat at one of the tables in the middle of the restaurant.

She raises her eyebrows. "Wow, he has nice taste."

A waiter asks us for our order, and we decide to order burgers and fries like true Americans. Once he leaves, Shay and I continue our conversation.

"So, I heard that the boys wrote a couple of new songs," she muses, sipping on her water.

"Ooh, that's really awesome. I wonder--"

Someone hugs me from behind, and I jump out of fright. Purple hair hangs over my shoulder, and I realize that Sara is the one who almost gave me a heart attack. "Jillian!" I squeal.

"Hey, Callie. Fancy seeing you here," she jokes. She turns to Shay. "Hello, I'm Jillian, Aaron's coworker and Callie's friend. You must be the best friend she's always taking about."

Shay smiles, laughing a bit. "I guess so."

The lights flash in the room, and everyone turns their attention to the four boys walking on stage. Chatter quiets down a bit as Luke approaches the microphone. "Hey, hey, hey. Not only was that a greeting, but it's what our first song is called, too."

"So that's why Charlie always says that!" I tell Shay. "That little sneak."

The boys get into place. I lock eyes with Aaron, and he winks at me. "Let's get this party started," he says into the microphone.

A guitar melody paired with a drum solo opens the song. "The past is in the past, and the future what we've got left," Luke sings, looking down to strum his guitar.

When the chorus begins, the band loses their chill and rocks out to the hardcore beats they create. This songs matches their entire mindset and attitude, so I pull out my phone and start recording their performance. This is definitely going on YouTube.

Shay, Jillian , and I stand up and move to the front of the stage, dancing to their song. "Hey, hey, hey!" we shout, giggling as Shay screams.

When the song ends, everyone cheers loudly and wildly. "We're 4 Days to Jupiter," Aaron beams, giggling into the microphone, "and we want to thank you for the massive applause. Before we perform our next song, I want to wish my girlfriend a happy birthday."

I cut the camera and shove my phone in my pocket as Aaron points at me. "Callie, baby, I love you so much. Happy Birthday."

I nod, screaming thank you though I know he can't hear me. Aaron quickly runs from his spot at the back of the stage to the front, squatting so that his face hovers above mine. "Happy Birthday, babe, that one was for you."

I smile, grabbing him by his face and kissing him as if my life depended on it. I hear a few people cheer and hoot, but I ignore them. "Thank you."

He kisses me one last time before Al pushes him back to his drum set. "Stop distracting him, Callie, gosh," Al says into the microphone. "We've got a job to do."

I laugh, and the band flawlessly performs the rest of their set. By the time they hop off stage, I'm sweaty but happy.

"Happy Birthday, Cal!" Charlie screams as he runs to me and hugs me from behind.

"Thanks, Charlie, but please get off me. You smell bad."

He lets go, looking offended. "Well then."

Luke and Al emerge from the crowd. They both talk to Shay as I look around for Aaron.

"Where's Aaron?" I ask, directing my question at Al and looking around the restaurant. I don't see him anywhere.

From behind me, someone places a cake on the table with the words "Happy Birthday Callie" written in red icing. "I'm right here."

Everyone starts singing the happy birthday song as Aaron wraps his arms around my waist and sways me from side to side. When the attention is finally off of me, my friends and I dig in and eat.

"This tastes amazing," Jillian gushes, shoving a forkful of marble cake in her mouth.

"That's because his mom helped him make it," Luke adds, cutting himself another piece.

I turn to Aaron. "You made this?"

"Yeah, with my mom."

"I'm impressed," I confess, licking the icing off my fork.

"Food is the way to your heart, isn't it?"

I nod. "You know me too well."

Eventually the party ends when the tavern closes, and everyone heads home. Soon enough, I'm laying in bed, staring at the ceiling, unable to fall asleep.

I remember the video I filmed and watch it back, smiling widely. I quickly go online and make a YouTube account for the band, posting the view on there. Aaron's birthday is only a couple days away, and I bet this could be a part of his present.

Hopefully, he'll like the glittery drumsticks I'm getting him, too.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

[A/N] What a great way to end the chapter lol