Chapter 84: Just Go

Emilee POV

I accidently saw him today.

I walked into the tower to hand in my uniform with dignity, and to say goodbye to my mates, who had looked after me so well for the last year. The best year of my life.

“I can’t believe you’re going through with this.” Maxi said to me sadly. I looked at him.

“We’ll still be friends Maxi. We’ll still be like siblings.” I whispered back, pulling him in for a big hug. He squeezed me so tightly.

“I wish you luck in the career you choose Nals.” He whispered in my ear. “But if I had to choose, you would be one heck of a lifeguard.”

I chuckled, and tried to get rid of my sadness. Maxi was such a great guy, and he was like my brother. I was so protective of him, he could have been younger, and he was so protective of me he could have been older. Nevertheless, I knew our relationship would not fade just because I quit something I love. For reasons I was not explaining.

I moved over to Taco who hugged me.

“Don’t do it Em.” He pleaded. I shook my head.

“It’s too late Taco.” I replied. Then Beardy pulled me in for a massive hug. Matt Dee enveloped me in his arms and I was sandwiched.

“You can’t quit Shorty!!” Matt exclaimed.

“This is what you’re SUPPOSED to do!” Beardy backed Matt up. I started to laugh and cry at the same time.

“Oh god. Look what you’ve done to me!” I said hysterically. They laughed and released me from their sandwich of death.

“Seriously Em. What made you do this?” Beardy asked. I gulped. I didn’t want to say Deano told me to, but I didn’t want to say that I did it so Jesse and I wouldn’t make them uncomfortable.

“Well… I just… I thought I wanted a career change.” I lied.

Everybody looked at me disbelieving.

“I’m not lying! I thought it wasn’t for me!” I defended myself. I crossed my arms. Harries spoke up for the first time since I told him of my resignation.

“Well, we’re still all going to be here for you.” He told me sincerely. I smiled.

“Thanks Harries.” I replied. He pulled me in for a hug. When he released me from his strong hold, all the boys who were with me when I called a meeting outside surrounded me.

“Emilee, no matter what, we’re your best mates.” Taco said.

“Wherever you are, feel us in your heart.” Beardy said over dramatically. It was sarcastic I guess, but it still meant a lot.

“THREE CHEERS FOR EMILEE KERR!” They all yelled. I grinned as everybody cheered. It made me sad that I was leaving this life behind so suddenly, but I was happy to be able to finally let go of everything. That was, until he arrived.

“Hey, what’s going o-“Jesse walked around the side of the tower, and everybody fell dead silent. His eyes reached mine and they raked my body up and down. I was wearing a pair of old Nike shorts and a mid-riff top. Not my usual attire.

I stared back at him. He looked terrible- he had deep bags under his eyes, but when he had come around the corner, he had an aura about him. Something I had never seen before, almost like a newfound, forced happiness. I also noticed a tattoo peeking through his translucent tank. I couldn’t make out the words.

“Oh.” He said.

Was that all he could say? I hadn’t seen the stupid asshole since he left England, leaving behind the ring he was going to propose with cruelly!

I got angry. And that’s to say the least.

“Oh to you too asshole.” I shot back. I quickly turned to the boys, who stood around awkwardly.

“Thanks for everything. But I think this is my cue to leave. And my reason.” I told them. Then I turned on my heel and stormed past Jesse, making sure I bumped him with my shoulder. Nice and hard.

I walked down the promenade and straight to my car. I was so angry and done with everything. I heard footsteps behind me. Jesse grabbed my shoulder, and I pulled away from him with disgust.

“Fuck off.” I spat. Jesse looked taken back.

“I was just going to sa-“I cut him off.

“Save it. I’ll see you on Friday dick.” I said. I got into my car, slammed the door and drove away. I couldn’t believe he had the nerve to approach me like nothing was wrong after he left behind the ring, and dumped all his shit in my backyard.

Jesse POV

She just left me there. Before I could say anything. Like I was the bad guy and she hadn’t done anything! She was the stupid bitch that-

Don’t talk about her like that Jesse. The little angel on my shoulder said.

Yes! Keep going! She’s mean, rude, a heartbreaker! The Devil shot back.

You still love her Jesse.

No you don’t!

Yes you do!

No you don’t!

Yes!

No!

Yes!

No!

SHUT UP! I yelled at my conscious.

I shook my head and wandered back to the tower slowly. I was so messed up, but I could not let it show. At all. It was dangerous if I still showed my feelings. I could get trampled by Em’s car next time.

At the tower, Beardy pulled me aside.

“Sorry about that mate. If we’d have known you were coming…” He shook his head. Then Matt Dee and Harries popped up.

“What did Em mean?” They interrogated.

“What?” I asked confused.

“What did she mean when she said you were her reason to leave?” Harries said angrily, his fists bunching up. My eyes widened.

“Mate, I don’t know! I don’t know her anymore!” I defended myself.

“You spent a year in a relationship with her!” Taco exclaimed.

“She’s changed! She’s not the Emilee I knew!” I shot back. Harries groaned in frustration.

“Changed!? How the fuck has she changed!?” I’d never heard him swear before. Harries was always so calm and collected.

“I...I…”

“You’re the one who’s changed! You’re rude, ignorant… you broke her heart more than Em did!” He yelled. I was about to yell back, when Maxi intervened.

“Now Jesse, you don’t want to lose another friend like Koby do you?” He hissed in my ear. I shook my head.

“Just go. Go home Jesse.” He said.

“But…” I protested.

“GO! Before things get worse!” He gave me a warning look. Maxi looked as though he had aged incredibly through this whole ordeal.

I left the tower.