Chapter 52: Christmas Day Part 2

After lunch, and our little chat, Maxi and I walk back to the tower, where most of the boys on duty have assembled. Everybody is chatting, and I head over and sit on Jesse’s lap. He grins and hugs me, resting his chin on my shoulder. Hoppo walks in and we all fall silent.

“Alright, because it’s so busy today, I have decided to let you all go home to have the rest of Christmas day off. You can choose to stay if you want to, but everybody is free to leave. I have another team assembled to take your places.” He explained to us. A massive sigh of relief ran through the eight of us.

“What do you wanna do babe?” Jesse asked me, turning me around so he could see my face.

“Shall we go home? We can ask if your parents want to drop by for afternoon tea or something.” I suggested. Jesse nodded.

“That’s a great idea Em.” He praised me. “Let’s go.” We got up and announce we were leaving. Everybody except for Deano and Corey who volunteered to do tower duty for the rest of the day if the others stayed outside.

Jesse and I grabbed our things and walked to the car park. I was feeling awkward, not telling him about the mystery shopper lie, but I had decided to trust Maxi. I locked it away in a deep chest in the pit of my stomach where nobody could ever find it. We got into the car and Jesse handed me his phone.

“Can you call mum and dad and ask if they want to come over?” He asked. I nodded.

“Sure. Is their number in your contacts?”

“Yeh, under Parents.” Jesse replied, starting the engine. I scrolled through his contacts until I found Parents. I clicked on it and dialled their number.

Briiing bring. Briiing bring. Briiing bring.

It only rang three times before somebody picked up.

“Hello, Porky speaking?” Jesse’s dad picked up the phone.

“Hi Porky, this is Emilee.” I said chirpily. Jesse rolled his eyes and I playfully punched his arm.

“Oh hey Em! I was wondering when I was going to get a call from you.” He teased. I laughed sarcastically.

“Ha-ha Porky. Sure you were!” I exclaimed. He chuckled.

“I was. What’s up? My boy treating you good?” He asked.

“Yes, he is. And we were just wondering if you and Debbie wanted to come over today for Christmas afternoon tea. Hop gave the morning duty crew the rest of the arvo off.” I asked Porky politely.

“How nice! Just a minute…” I heard him cover the speaker bit of the phone, but heard him yell out to Debbie nonetheless. “HON! JESSE AND EM WANT US TO COME OVER FOR CHRISTMAS ARVO TEA? WE FREE?” He yelled. I had the phone on speaker and Jesse rolled his eyes.

“Typical dad.” He muttered. I chuckled.

“Emilee, you there?” I snapped back to the telephone call instead of watching Jesse drive.

“Yeh, sorry Porky.” I apologized.

“We’re going to Andrew’s place, but we’re free for Boxing Day tomorrow? How about that?” he asked.

“Daaaaad! We’re working boxing day!” Jesse whined. I giggled. I’d never seen him whine before.

“Sorry son. We’ll call you soon yeh? We can have a late Chrissie.” Porky said apologetically. Jesse rolled his eyes.

“It’s’ k. Bye now.” He said, ready for me to hang up.

“Bye Boggsie, bye Em!” Porky said goodbye to us and we hung up. I began to piss myself with laughter. Jesse frowned.