Chapter 85: Sold

Emilee POV

On Friday morning, Dad drove me to the house. There was a real estate agent outside, and Jesse stood next to him with his hands in his pockets. My breathing quickened. He was wearing my favourite button up shirt of his and a pair of really nice black pants. I myself wore a pair of jeans and a nice shirt. Nothing too fancy.

Dad pulled up at the curb.

“Are you going to be okay Em?” He asked me. I nodded.

“Yeh. I’ll be fine Dad.” I replied. I quickly kissed him on the cheek and then got out of the car. Jesse nodded curtly to me and the real estate agent basked in the awkwardness.

“Should we go inside?” he suggested. Jesse and I both nodded, completely ignoring each other. I couldn’t believe that I was seeing him in real life once again. For so long he had been a part of my dreams since he left and now, seeing Jesse in real life was really weird.

Once we were inside, we all sat down at the dining table that Jesse and I had planned the trip to the UK at. The whole house held so many memories for me, so many memories that I could never forget because they were a part of the best year of my life.

“So, we have a main buyer who is interested in this house in particular. He says it has lovely views and he wants to make an offer.” The real estate agent began.

“Well did we have a reserve?” I asked.

“Yes. I settled the reserve to $800,000 with Jesse. The place is worth more, but Jesse wanted to be sure it would sell.” The agent explained.

“Only $800,000?” I asked.

“Yes Emilee. It needs to be sold.” Jesse said, shooting me a glare. I rolled my eyes.

“Sir yes sir.” I said sarcastically.

The agent cleared his throat.

“Anyway, the bidder placed the offer for one million.” He interjected. My jaw dropped. “He said it was worth even more considering two Australian icons had lived their relationship here.”

My jaw closed again. That was ridiculous.

Apparently Jesse felt the same way.

“Are there any other buyers?” He inquired tensely.

“Yes. Three others, but the offers are considerably lower. It would be worth taking the million.” He explained.

“I would rather that we let somebody buy the house who really wants it. Not just because we lived here.” I told him.

“Look, Markus, the offer is amazing. I never thought this old shack would be worth it, but I agree with Emilee.” Jesse said calmly. Markus must be the real estate guy.

“I understand that, but this is a once in a lifetime opportunity.” Markus told us. I wasn’t going to cave. I would prefer my relationship with Jesse than one million dollars halved.

“No it’s not. A once in a lifetime opportunity isn’t getting one million dollars.” I sassed back.

“Well there are many benefits to it. For instance…” Markus began rattling off random benefits of the one million, and I found myself getting extremely angry. He couldn’t decide what we wanted with our lives. Honestly? I just want my boyfriend, job and happiness back. I want to be free of guilt and sadness.

If I had to choose anything in the world, I’d ask for Jesse. As much as we’d hurt each other, I still loved him. He had been my first for most things. I remembered how he would always hold my hand, look out for me when I went for a rescue and cheer me on. He would laugh at my jokes and hold me close at night.