Chapter 63: Sunset Surf

“He’s in trouble. Go in quick Nals!” Gonzo said over the radio. I stripped off my shirt and grabbed the rescue board. I sprinted into the water and threw myself onto the board, paddling for dear life. I ducked over waves, finally reaching the man. He put his arms up onto the board and gasped for air.

“Jump on with your stomach here.” I told him. I helped him onto the board and pulled him back a bit so we wouldn’t nose dive. Then I caught a wave back in. The man got off the board and walked off embarrassed. His mates looked like they were laughing at him. I rolled my eyes and walked back up to Deano, pulling my shirt back on. He smiled at me from in the rhino.

The shitty weather had finally cleared up, and the normal Bondi crowds had swelled back up to the beach and my good mood had been restored. I was slowly realising that I wouldn’t have to tell Jesse about those few dreadful secrets, because we were happy as ever. Kara had moved in with Charlotte and I was going over there tonight to visit them and the surf was up and pumping as well. Except for the fact Hoppo was making Jesse, Maxi, Nicola and I work double time things were getting exciting. We had arranged a big fundraiser run along the coast from Tamarama to Bondi in a few days to just get more awareness out there about Strong and Kara’s birthday coming up soon. Jesse and I had formed a master plan to send her and a friend to Bali using the tickets Maxi got me for my birthday.

“You in a good mood or something?” Deano queried. I grinned and sat down.

“Yes! Things are so good right now.” I said happily. Deano chuckled and I raised an eyebrow.

“What’s so funny?” I asked.

“Well what things are good right now?” He asked.

“All sorts. We’re going to the UK soon, Kara’s birthday is in two days and the fundraiser is this weekend.” I told Deano totally stoked.

“Oh, and her sex life is up to standards because Jesse will not shut up!” Said a joking Harrison as he approached us. I gasped and hit him across the shoulder.

“Harrison!” I yelled. He grinned cheekily. Stupid idiot.

“Who’s Kara?” He asked curiously. I stuck my nose in the air.

“None of your business.” I replied, pretending to be angry. He groaned.

“Oh, why can’t you tell meee?” he whined. Deano laughed and I looked at Harrison. He was pouting.

“Aw, is da wittle Hawwison upset that big meanie Em won’t tell him who Kara is?”  I mimicked a baby’s voice. He furrowed his eyebrows.

“No. Of course I’m not.” He replied, this time sticking his nose in the air. I laughed at him.

“I’m only kidding. She’s my best friend.” I told him.

“She hot?” He asked. I laughed. “What’s so funny?” He asked.

“She’s Maxi’s ex. The one who thought he cheated on her.” I explained. Everybody knew about that story. News travels like wildfire around here.

“Ah, that Kara. Kara Congues. Yeh she’s gorgeous.” Harrison said, absent mindedly adding the last bit on. Then something in my mind clicked.

“Harrison?” I asked a bit hesitantly. He turned to face me.

“Yeh?”

“Are you doing anything in the next few weeks, around the time I’m going away?” I asked him.

“No. Why?” he replied confused.

“Do you want to go to Bali with Kara for her birthday?” I asked. His eyes brightened and he grinned the biggest smile I had ever seen, and something else clicked.