Chapter 74: Amnesia

Emilee POV

I managed to stagger into the hotel room, with Mouse and Maxi supporting me. I was piss drunk, and had no idea why Jesse just left. Something in my head told me it was because I fucked up, but I didn’t understand or remember what exactly that was.

 Whatever it was, it made my heart ache. 

Mouse lay me down on a bed, and sat next to me.

“Listen, Em, when you wake up, you’re going to be hurt. So sleep happily whilst you can.” He told me. I nodded, and shut my eyes, trying to stop my spinning head.

I had an unsettling dream.

I dreamt that Jesse had left me forever.

The Next Morning ~

I woke up with a start from my nightmare. Breathing heavily, I immediately turned to find Jesse, so he would comfort me, and make me feel safe, and I would know he would never ever let me go.

But he wasn’t there.

A sudden pounding filled my head, and I groaned. Stupid hangover, I knew I shouldn’t have gone drinking last night. I didn’t remember anything, it was like I’d woken up with Amnesia. I thought of that 5 Seconds of summer song, and smiled. They played that really well live.

I got up, and changed out of the dress I had been wearing last night. I looked around for my suitcase, but it wasn’t there. I realised I was in Maxi’s room, and grabbed a BADMAX shirt and a pair of his tracksuit pants. I pulled my hair back into a ponytail, and dragged my feet into the kitchen, where everybody sitting around the dining table not talking over a breakfast of eggs and bacon from the room service menu.

Nicola looked like she was fuming.

Maxi had his head in his hands.

Mouse shoved a piece of bacon into his mouth morbidly.

Hoppo was silent, with a tense jaw.

Jesse was nowhere to be seen.

They noticed I had entered the room, and Nicola got up angrily, and stormed out, shoving my shoulder as she left. I widened my eyes. She had always been so in control of her anger, and at the best of times, diminished of it completely.

“What’s going on?” I asked quietly, whimpering at the loud bang of a door being slammed.

Maxi got up and handed me a painkiller and a glass of water and coffee, and I sat down opposite Mouse.

“Where’s Jesse?” I asked. Hoppo looked up at me.

“Do you remember anything from last night?” He asked me. I shook my head.

“No. Sorry. Why?” I wondered. I was still curious as to why Jesse wasn’t there.

“You told him. You told Jesse about the trick, the second kiss, you told him you lied.” Mouse blurted out. I spilt my coffee in surprise. Tears clouded my eyes.

“I, I did?” I asked quietly. Maxi nodded.

“Where is he?” I asked.

Nobody replied.

“Guys, where is Jesse?” I asked again.

Nobody replied.

“WHERE IS HE?’ I asked panicking.

“He left. He’s gone back home.” Maxi whispered.

My breath caught.

No, he wouldn’t be gone.

He can’t be gone!

I rushed out of the kitchen, and stumbled to the room we shared. I burst through the door, like a madman.

The bed was neatly made, with a little velvet box placed on it. I walked slowly over to the box, and hesitantly opened it.

Sitting there, in a bed of velvet, shimmering in the early London sunlight, was a beautiful diamond ring.

I gasped, and brought my hand to my mouth.

I lost all awareness of everything, I crumbled to my knees and let the tears flow.

I don’t know how long I cried for, but however long it was, all I could think of was that I ruined everything. I stuffed up the best relationship I’ve ever had, I ruined the Strong trip and Nicola hates me.

But the worst thing was, even out of all of the terrible events and the immense sense of despair and failing I felt, was knowing that he loved me enough that he would propose.

And now Jesse was gone.

I sat down, and cradled the ring in my hands, my face red and blotchy from the tears.

I slid the ring onto my finger.

“Yes Jesse. I will marry you.” I whispered before dissolving into more tears, and the overwhelming heartbreak that consumed my whole body.

I now know what the 5SOS boys mean when they sing Amnesia.

I wish that I could wake up, and forget everything we ever did or ever went through, because remembering is painful, and I want to desperately live in the past that I took for granted, because it was past filled with happiness, love and laughter- not one in which I wanted to die if I couldn’t be with Jesse Polock.