Chapter 60: Surprise Surprise!

A week after Maxi and I’s little conversation, Kara was still depressed and Jesse was pestering me to explain exactly what Maxi said over and over again. On our way to work, I was explaining it for what felt like the zillionth time.

“And then he explained how Tahlia launched herself at him just as Kara walked in. I’m not saying it again.” I said stubbornly. Jesse grinned.

“Alright then. I think I have all the information I need.” He said, nudging my shoulder as we left the car and walked up to the tower. The weather has been really crappy lately, which I guess fits with my mood at the moment. I’m seriously trying to hide too many secrets.

I sighed and opened the tower door to reveal a big commotion. There seemed to be a lot of ‘hi’ and ‘heys’ going around which was unusual for a morning like this. We all knew each other. Jesse looked at me with the same confused expression. I shrugged and I approached Hoppo.

“Ah, finally! Em and Jesse you’re here. I have somebody I want you to meet.” Hoppo said pushing us forward up the stairs.

“What’s going on Hop?” Jesse asked.

“Yeh, what the hell?” I agreed with Jesse. I looked straight ahead and my green eyes met a pair of blue ones. They were somewhat familiar, because I recognised the little flecks of gold in the centre. Then I screamed.

Hoppo POV

That was seriously, the loudest scream I have ever heard come out of Emilee’s mouth. She sounded terrified.

Jesse POV

What’s going on? Is Em hurt? Shit, if she’s hurt…

Emilee POV

I ran towards the person and engulfed her in the biggest bear hug I could ever muster. She hugged me back just as tight and we just held each other.

Eventually, when we pulled away from each other, I gasped.

“What are you doing here?!” I asked, still shocked.

“I’m the new lifeguard! Your dad heard I was back in Australia and offered me a job. I tried to email you, but you never responded!” She replied. I hugged her again before Hoppo intercepted.

“Alright, what is going on?” He asked concerned. I grinned.

“Hop, this is my best friend from Bali, Nicola Atherton.” I replied with a massive smile. Nicola had short blonde hair and a really friendly face. I’ve known her since kindergarten, and when my mum died, she came with me over to Bali. Nicola’s parents were wealthy, so they bought us a place there and along with Nicola, my auntie and I, stayed with us until I decided to move back home.

“So you know each other?” Mouse asked. We both nodded.

“Yep.” We replied at the exact same time.

“Well, I guess there’s no need for me to introduce Nicola here as our newest trainee to the service.” Hoppo said with a smile. All the boys rushed forward and shook her hand, instead of just saying ‘hi’ like they were before. As they were doing so, Hoppo pulled me aside.

“Em, I know you’re still a trainee too, but could you assist Whippet it helping out in showing Nicola the ropes of this crazy place?” he asked me. I grinned.

“Of course. I can’t believe nobody told me there was going to be a new trainee!” I agreed.

“It was meant to be a surprise. I knew that you knew each other.” He replied before sending me off to save Nic from the boys. I got to her and wrapped an arm around her shoulder.