Chapter 38: Flaming Embers Part 2

Emilee POV

It was dead silent in the car. I could tell Jesse was worried because I hadn’t said a word. Well I hadn’t said a word because I came close to dying like my mother whilst searching for the only memoir I actually had of her. I can still taste the smoke in my mouth, and feel the desperation I felt as I thought I was going to lose her. I remember Jesse’s worried face when I ran back in and my father. Dad was in the hospital because he had a few burns.

“Em?” Jesse asked. He placed his hand on my thigh.

“Yeh?” I whispered softly.

“Are you ok?” Jesse looked at me with his big blue eyes. Love screamed through his expression and I knew that he loved me and was worried for me.

“I guess.” I muttered. Jesse pulled over and stroked my face with his big, warm hand. I leant in and he kissed me. His soft lips comforted me, and he held my face in his hands gently. I wrapped my arms around his neck and let my fingers dance over his tattoos. We were stuck in our own moment, and if it wasn’t for Mouse tapping on the window, I think we would have stayed there all night.

“Hello...” Mouse said. Jesse and I broke away and wound down the window. “Jeez, I thought I was never going to get through to you guys.” He smiled. He saw my sad expression and his smile faded.

“Hey, thanks for this mate.” Jesse said.

“Are you ok?” Mouse asked. His expression was concerned, and I smiled and ruffled his hair.

“We’re good Jenkinson.” I managed to smile a little smile as I got out of the car. Beardy came out and pulled me into a hug. Over the last few months, we had become really close, he was probably one of my closest mates next to Jesse and Maxi. Beardy smiled and helped us grab Jesse’s tub. They showed us into the house, where the bathroom was and our room. It had two single beds, a small shelf and wardrobe. Beardy pushed the beds together.

“Here you go. Sleep tight.” He said. Jesse took my head and I peeled off my clothes so I was in an old shirt and my knickers. Jesse was in his boxers and we climbed into the bed. We faced the wall and Jesse wrapped his arms around me firmly.

“I’m never going to let go of you ever again.” He whispered.

“You won’t have to.” I replied quietly as I drifted off into a deep sleep.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the morning, I woke to sunlight streaming into our room. It lit the place up, and I could see various Bondi Zinc posters and bottle designs strewn all over the floor. A few surfboards were dangling out of the wardrobe and a soaking wetsuit hang from the clothes rack. I felt around for Jesse, but he wasn’t there. I sat upright and groaned as a sharp pain went through my back. I lay back down and managed to wake myself up. I remembered the fire. The smoke. Jesse. Dad. I gulped and sighed. May as well get up now. I turned and checked my phone. It was 1:30pm. I must have slept in, that’s why Jesse had gone. He was an early riser because he went for a surf every morning we didn’t have work. I threw back the covers and stood up, stretching out my sore muscles. I pulled on a pair of little shorts that I had on last night when we escaped and left to go find the kitchen. Mouse was sitting at the table and reading Bethany Hamilton’s biography, Beardy was outside talking to Jesse on their swinging couch.

“Morning.” I said. Mouse looked up.

“Morning Shorty.” He grinned at me and I smiled. Reidy’s nickname for me must have been passed on.

“More like afternoon Cloudy.” I smirked. Mouse rolled his eyes at me.

“Afternoon Madame!” He laughed. I laughed too. Jesse and Beardy came in.