Chapter 58: Suds

I pushed open the glass doors and about 6 friendly faces greeted me. All women with rectangle framed glasses and wearing black suit dresses. I walked up to one of them and smiled.

“Hi. My names Emilee and I was wondering if I could get a quote as to how much a business trip to the UK will cost.” I said formally.

“Of course lovey, take a seat.” The woman said gesturing to the chair in front of her. I sat down and Kara pulled up a chair to sit next to me. The woman shuffled around with some papers and then folded her hands in front of her on her desk, showing off perfectly manicured nails. I rolled my eyes mentally. “So, first things first, you will be departing from Sydney?” She asked, looking over the brim of her glasses. I heard Kara snigger quietly.

“Yes.” I replied politely as the woman shot Kara a look. She turned her attention back to me.

“And you would like to land, where?” She asked through gritted teeth.

 “In London please.” I replied.

“In Heathrow?”

“Yes, if that is possible.” I added nicely. She looked at me like I was absurd.

“Of course it is possible.” She said with a smirk at my stupidness. “Now would you like to fly economy or business?” She added with a fake smile. I gritted my teeth.

“Economy please.”

“Alright, and finally, how many people will be attending?” She asked, scribbling something down on a piece of paper.

“Four adults.” I replied. She typed something up onto her computer, and clicked around a few times. Kara nudged me and showed me a booklet she had taken an interest in reading. It was for a flight to Bali. Suddenly, I remembered the tickets that Maxi had given me for my birthday. Maybe I could get Kara and Maxi on a trip together! But Jesse and I’s 6 month anniversary was coming up… Oh I’ll find a use for them.

“Alright miss, we have four flights available. I can print them out and then you could go and show your boss?” She suggested.

“Of course, but I am one of the bosses for the trip.” I replied with a smirk. She blushed.

“Forgive me. Of course I’ll just go and get those.” She said flustered. Kara high fived me under the table. We were really enjoying taking the mickey out of this woman. She came back, handed me the sheets of paper and told me how to book online. I nodded and thanked her and Kara and I walked out of the flight centre and burst into a fit of giggles, with people giving us strange looks.

“Did you see her face?” Kara blurted out giggling. I laughed alongside her whilst we got into the car. I began to back out of my space and got onto the main road back to home. Kara did her best impersonation of the lady. “Of course it is possible.” She mimicked, pretending to look down fake glasses. I laughed and it seemed that Kara was distracted, but I was still worried about her. What if she broke down?

“Kara, I hate to turn the conversations serious, but where are you staying?” I asked her softly. Her eyes turned glassy.

“I was at my house, but I forgot to pay the rent so they kicked me out. I’m at a backpackers place at the moment near South Bondi.” She replied. I sighed.

“Do you want to stay with Jesse and me for a couple of weeks?” I asked her. She looked at me and smiled slightly.

“Can I? I mean if it’s no trouble, I’d love to.” She replied, a little hesitantly. I know Kara didn’t want people feeling sorry for her, but I also knew that she took a while to get over bad things. She was laughing, but it definitely wasn’t the happy-go-lucky laugh I’d come to know with her. I was just looking out for a friend.